The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:48 PM

mort is on a distinguished road
Default Barramundi Flyfishing- Orlando area

Anyone ever go flyfishing for Barramundi in the Orlando area? Is it worth the cost?
I am looking to do so in Feb. of 2010 and need to know what kind of tackle/flies I would need.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barramundi Flyfishing- Orlando area

Hey Mort,

I haven't fished for barramundi but just want to welcome you to the board.

It seems that they've been introduced into some private ponds down there- and fishing is 800 bucks for 4 hours for 1-4 people at stocked ponds on private property- at least at one site that came up after a quick google.

Maybe some folks from Florida can chime in-- there are probably a ton of other opportunities close by too for you to consider--- for comparison most FW (largemouth and/or peacocks) or SW fly fishing (reds, snook etc and maybe a shot at tarpon) from skiffs would run about 500-600 for a full day for 1-2 people in a more natural setting.

mark
Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post

fishing is 800 bucks for 4 hours

mark
Yikes! Prices like that kinda make a trip to Australia to fish Barramundi in their seem a lot more reasonable. I'd find out how long ago they were stocked and how big they are now just out of curiosity, but $800.oo dollars could be spent on better fishing things like a new rod. I am also a little concerned about yet another weird species that will eventually end up spread around in Florida. For example, did you know that the new all tackle world record Clown Knife Fish (native to Aisa ) was just caught in Florida? I found a fly fish Australia web site that may be a help with flies. http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/flybox_archive.html
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mort,

I saw a video about Barramundi fishing in Florida. They fished in ponds that were dug out with a dozer and I think rectangular in shape. They were easy to catch and of course they feed them. It just wasn't a fly fishing experience that I would care about.

I don't think Barramundi should be allowed into the country. If the importer goes bust more than likely the fish will be released into the wild. We have plenty of game fish with out Barramundi. Florida is facing an epidemic of exotic animals and fish that people buy at a pet store and then released into the wild when it gets too big.

Frank
Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM

I would love to go for snook but I do not think they are in season in feb.
It is al lot of money to fish for the Barramundi that is why I was hoping someone could let me know if they are worth it. They supposed fight like snook.

They were originally put in the pond in 2006 and will average 5-7lbs from what I have read.

I will be staying in the Kissimee area. I believe that Lake Taho is supposed to be some of the best large mouth fishing around. anyone have any experience with this? any guide recommendations?

Chris
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=mort;67340]I would love to go for snook but I do not think they are in season in feb.
It is a lot of money to fish for the Barramundi, that is why I was hoping someone could let me know if they are worth it. They supposed fight like snook.

They were originally put in the pond in 2006 and will average 5-7lbs from what I have read.

I will be staying in the Kissimee area. I believe that Lake Taho is supposed to be some of the best large mouth fishing around. anyone have any experience with this? any guide recommendations?

Chris
Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Another option you might want to add to your list is fishing in the wild life refuge around Titusville- Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River etc- for big red fish and/or Sebastian inlet around Vero (I think).

Hopefully some of the Florida folks will weigh in with recommendations for that time of year and different options for trips and guide recommendations.

Whatever you do, if you are looking for a guide, I'd recommend looking for one that specializes in fly fishing (as opposed to a light tackle, "yeah you can bring fly stuff if you want to" guy) or a booking service that assigns guides- some of whom may actually spend more time shucking clams for a living. It would be a shame to spend a bunch of money on a boat ride if you can avoid it by doing some "due diligence" upfront--- not that there are any guarantees in fishing, but you'll up your odds considerably with a good guide experienced with some of the challenges of fly fishing- positioning the boat for casts, knowing spots that might be better for windy conditions, giving pointers on casting and presentation, fly selection, rigging, and having suitable gear available on hand if you should need it etc.

mark
Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
a lot of money to fish for the Barramundi ....let me know if they are worth it.... will average 5-7lbs from what I have read.
Barramundi get huge. 45 lb plus huge. 5-7 lbs.? That just put my vote in the not worth it column. Way better ways to blow $800.oo in Florida, and everyone I can think of lasts more than 4 hours.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Understanding and maybe agreeing with Frank W.'s concerns, I will say that the Barramundi I have eaten in Australia is delicious, probably more so than most of our game fish. However, as Frank W. alluded to, I'm not sure that in itself is a sufficient reason to stock them in this country as an invasive species.