The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM

phantomdriver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog and trout:do they mix

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

And Larry that looks like a warthog you're using as a logo...nice to be a part of the brotherhood
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomdriver View Post
Yep... About 3000hrs in the ole bird... Nice ride
Yes, it was a pretty cool flying machine! I was lucky enough to get a back seat ride in the F-4 while we where on a trip to Iceland once. At the time I was in Stan Eval, primarily flying the F-106 and T-33, later on I flew the A-10 at Eielson AFB for four years before retiring.

Larry

Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi PD and welcome to the group,

It is actually a matter of if you and the dog can work things out so that you both have fun. I have fished with Setters, pointers, and a German Shepherd. All of them understood what we were doing and all were great to have along. I have put a link in my signature here that leads to a blog containing stories about Alaska. I just wrote one called A Man & His Dog in Alaska. The story demonstrates how things can go wrong when you are with your dog on a river. When you have time take a look and don't let it happen to you

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 PM

phantomdriver is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Dog and trout:do they mix

Thanks Ard...nice story and well told...will keep it in mind when on the river with my dog...kinda a thinking of tying him to about 10th lead and stay in one spot... Pain in the ... To get him undone to move, but I do enjoy his company
Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I have a young yellow lab, and there is no fishing with him around...I'd love to, but it is one or the other for me. That said, I am not a seasoned dog trainer like some of the birders in this forum. Perhaps they have methods of training the "lab" out of the dog...

I'm sure it can be done, but the level of training expertise it will take, especially when a water dog is involved could be tremendous; I have neither the luxury of time for training or the expertise to do it so I either play with the dog, or go fishing.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 AM

waldow is on a distinguished road

Phantomdriver- you weren't flying F-4s in VN ,were you? I lay in the Paddies watching many F-4 sorties from below and a beautiful site it was!

I have 2 dogs that will not stay out of the water. I cannot under any condition take them to a creek and fish. Need "the dog whisperer" I guess.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

When I take my dog fishing, I bring a long length of rope and attach it to her collar if necessary. It depends on how excited she is at the time and if I've exercised her yet that day. Some days she'll go swimming around in the water looking for fish and I love spending time out on the water with her so if I don't catch anything because of her swimming about I don't even mind! However, if I'm fishing somewhere where others fish I keep her near me so that she doesn't ruin the fishing for others with her antics! If I keep her on shore, she gets jealous that I'm in the water and makes sure that I know!

As far as keeping a dog out of the water, especially a retriever, I would say make sure they get good exercise beforehand and bring something to entertain them (even a stick from shore works with mine). It's amazing how much a difference a little exercise makes for a dog's behavior. An obedience class or two is also helpful, because many dogs are not happy being forced to sit at a distance from their buddy, especially when their buddy gets to play in the water and they are stuck on shore! Obedience training will help both the dog, the owner, and the ears of others around the not-so-happy hound!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My last Golden Retriever was not a problem fishing. He couldn't swim and he knew it. My new one is a whole different story. She swims like an Otter and enjoys it just about as much. It generally depends on where I'm fishing, but most places I can't take her along.

When I say my last one couldn't swim, I don't mean I didn't let him. I mean he just couldn't. He fell off my dock and I had to go in and rescue him. He was a big dog. 87 lbs. without an ounce of fat on him. He tried to drown us both while I side stroked him to the neighbors pontoon boat.

Click the image to open in full size.
My new one chasing a goose while a try and fish. She likes swimming around right in front of me.

Last edited by Guest1; 07-30-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add photo correct terrible spelling