The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southeast U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/)
-   -   Dog and trout:do they mix (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/115983-dog-trout-do-they-mix.html)

phantomdriver 03-18-2011 12:25 PM

Dog and trout:do they mix

New to fly fishing... Spent some time last fall scouting section 4 of the chattooga with my g retriever...stopped and fished some from the banks and no problem with the dog staying put. Question is this spring I will put my waders on and fish from the river, and will tie the dog up as I go into the river. Anyone else fish with a dog along and if so how do you keep him/her out of the water...thanks...great site...I am learning a lot thanks to all of your comments and info

Pd :)

Frank Whiton 03-18-2011 12:41 PM

Re: Dog and trout:do they mix

Hi phantomdriver,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are enjoying your time here. We have some really great people as members.

About the dog, if you are driving a Rolls-Royce Phantom then you could hire someone to watch the dog.:) Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs that train well. You should be able to get him to stay on shore. Where I find trouble with dogs is in small canoes. They love to jump into the water and scare the devil out of you.

Frank

phantomdriver 03-18-2011 12:46 PM

Have to fight this dog to get him in a canoe... Thanks for the welcome

Pd;)

Davo 03-18-2011 12:51 PM

Pd

Welcome to the Forum. Can't help much on the dog, my Lab hated water so we never fished together. :(

jpbfly 03-18-2011 01:01 PM

:welcomean PD....fished once with a friend who had a dog long ago....spent his time running all around and diving into the river:eek: I won't do it again:D

popperfly 03-18-2011 02:17 PM

Welcome Phantomdriver,

I take my chocolate Lab all the time fishing, he just hangs out on the river bank or once in a while he will decide to take a swim. All I can do is laugh, can't get mad I brought him there. :)

madjoni 03-18-2011 02:24 PM

Hi Phantomdriver

I did it couple times and must agree with jbbfly...I dont want to do it again:D

gt05254 03-18-2011 02:42 PM

I found, with my setters, that if I'm out there in it up to my waist or higher, they figure they should be, too. So we confine our outdoorsy "pursuits" together to feathered quarry.
Gary

mcnerney 03-18-2011 02:44 PM

Phantomdrive: When my lab was still alive, he loved water, but I only took him out in the drift boat, he did real well there, he was too excited to try stream fishing with me wading and the dog on the bank, but I have seen some dogs that do real well. Welcome to the forum. With that username did you fly F-4's?

Larry

phantomdriver 03-18-2011 03:32 PM

Yep... About 3000hrs in the ole bird... Nice ride;)