The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 AM

phantomdriver is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Dog and trout:do they mix

New to fly fishing... Spent some time last fall scouting section 4 of the chattooga with my g retriever...stopped and fished some from the banks and no problem with the dog staying put. Question is this spring I will put my waders on and fish from the river, and will tie the dog up as I go into the river. Anyone else fish with a dog along and if so how do you keep him/her out of the water...thanks...great site...I am learning a lot thanks to all of your comments and info

Pd
Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Dog and trout:do they mix

Hi phantomdriver,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are enjoying your time here. We have some really great people as members.

About the dog, if you are driving a Rolls-Royce Phantom then you could hire someone to watch the dog. Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs that train well. You should be able to get him to stay on shore. Where I find trouble with dogs is in small canoes. They love to jump into the water and scare the devil out of you.

Frank
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: Dog and trout:do they mix

Have to fight this dog to get him in a canoe... Thanks for the welcome

Pd
Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Pd

Welcome to the Forum. Can't help much on the dog, my Lab hated water so we never fished together.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

PD....fished once with a friend who had a dog long ago....spent his time running all around and diving into the river I won't do it again
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Welcome Phantomdriver,

I take my chocolate Lab all the time fishing, he just hangs out on the river bank or once in a while he will decide to take a swim. All I can do is laugh, can't get mad I brought him there.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Hi Phantomdriver

I did it couple times and must agree with jbbfly...I dont want to do it again
Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I found, with my setters, that if I'm out there in it up to my waist or higher, they figure they should be, too. So we confine our outdoorsy "pursuits" together to feathered quarry.
Gary
Old 03-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Phantomdrive: When my lab was still alive, he loved water, but I only took him out in the drift boat, he did real well there, he was too excited to try stream fishing with me wading and the dog on the bank, but I have seen some dogs that do real well. Welcome to the forum. With that username did you fly F-4's?

Larry

Larry
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: Dog and trout:do they mix

Yep... About 3000hrs in the ole bird... Nice ride