The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road
Default Jacksonville Beach surf - any tips?

I'm headed to Jacksonville Beach, FL next week, staying right on the beach and I'd like to hit the surf with the fly rod a few times. I called a couple shops in that area and heard there's not a lot of bait in the water but there's always a chance to catch something.

Anyone know about fishing in that area right now?

Thanks for any help
Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM

soyavenger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jacksonville Beach surf - any tips?

most of the florida surf fishing ive done has been with a baitcaster or underhand surf rod, but there are fish to be caught, mostly pompano and jack crevalle. there are usually some other species out there, but ive caught most of the fish on shrimp and mullet, and from the fly fishing perspective, pompano and jack prey may be more easily replicated. they love sand fleas, if youre not familiar, they look like locust or beetle, tan/brown and about 1"-1.5" long. i found a link discussing it:

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/...ies-11269.html

they also like crab, and ive also seen a few crab flies. sheepshead like crab as well, but ive never caught one in the surf.

another possible surf fly i saw was actually a lead for a sabiki rig, its a weighted line with small shrimp "nymphs," about 1/2"-1" long, tied on every 8" or so to catch bait mullet. i imagine one of these leads individually would make a good fly.

Click the image to open in full size.

i probably wont be too far from you, ill be flying into JIA on the 24th, spend some time with some friends in jax beach, head inland for thanksgiving, then be back in st augustine on thurs night.

if you get a chance to fish, please post some results! id love to hear what worked or didnt work for you.

jack

Last edited by soyavenger; 11-20-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I'll be in the port orange area for a few days myself. Might get out to fish too. Won't be taken fly rod though....
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

thanks for the help guys, that'd be awesome if some jacks or pompanos were around but i imagine the cold weather has likely pushed them south to the keys or something. i'll give a report if things turn out better than expected