The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't take another Northern Minnesota winter.

I'm going to go to Florida this winter whether it kills me or not. I have not left Northern Minnesota during the winter in many years. Many many years. I have Navy buddies in the Sarasota, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale areas. I would like to hit them all and see as many of the old crew as I can, while still attempting to hit the said areas when the fishing is best at the given time this winter. If you were going to do a trip hitting these areas, when would be the best winter times, and order to hit them?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can't take another Northern Minnesota winter.

The fishing in Sarasota Bay is hot NOW. And if you need some hook-ups down that way, I'm your Huckleberry!

Speckled Trout fishing will be good along the coastal flats and bays from New Port Richey to Sarasota all winter. Redfish are hot in Sarasota Bay and Mosquito Lagoon (which is over by the Space Coast). Spanish Mackerel are running down across the southeast coast of Florida now. Permit won't really get hot down in the Islamorada area until mid-April or so. And the Tarpon and Snook are laid up in the backcountry this time of year all over the state. That's tough fishing, but can be very rewarding if you have a good guide.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Now is kind of out of the question but January may be. I think I'm going to end up in a major back surgery here so I'm not to sure about then either. Winter ends here about mid May if we are lucky. The ice has not left the lake till June two years in a row, so my definition of winter may include months your does'nt. For example, this whole week will have highs in the low teens and lows close to zero. I would like to look you up when I do get there though. Thanks, Dan
Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, like I said, the Permit fishing down in the Keys is best from mid-April until June. Sometime in mid-May, the Snook come out of the rivers along the central Gulf Coast of Florida and start cruising the beaches and passes before they head out into the Gulf to spawn. This a peak time to walk the beaches and cast flies to cruising Snook early in the morning. And this will continue until sometime in mid to late June. Snook season is closed then, but it's great inexpensive catch-n-release fun. The tarpon also start to move in late April and early May.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist