The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM

mcc1961 is on a distinguished road
Question wooly bugger

Can you use a wooly bugger this time of year in North Carolina?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: wooly bugger

Hello MCC and welcome to the group,

In some states Woolly Buggers are considered a controlled substance because of their intoxicating effect on trout. You should check to be sure you are not falling under this jurisdiction. Otherwise........ heck tie one on they work everywhere.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

I fish the Frying Pan in Basalt, Colorado in the heart of -10 winter days.....a black or white bugger is my go to fly when all others are losing fish due to their 7X tippets and midges...I go with 2X and a # 2 long shank buggers...Big fish .....and I get laughed at alot.....but I'm getting the last laugh
Old 12-11-2009, 01:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It's a sin not to have Woolies. I'll leave it at that.

MP
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 AM

foulhook is on a distinguished road

Seems like every fish I caught in the month of December was on a Woolly Bugger. I like to tie it all black with brown hackle. Works like a charm. Sometimes I put a small split shot right at the end of the line, next to the eye of the hook; gives it some pretty good action in the water.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulhook View Post
Seems like every fish I caught in the month of December was on a Woolly Bugger. I like to tie it all black with brown hackle. Works like a charm. Sometimes I put a small split shot right at the end of the line, next to the eye of the hook; gives it some pretty good action in the water.
another good trick is to put a tungston bead on the leader prior to tying on. Really gives great action and does not pinch your leader. works similar to a texas rig in bass fishing.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

good luck and let us know how they work for you
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Cone heads work good to.