The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default St. John's Shad?

Anyone seeing any Shad yet in the St. John's River, FL ?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: St. John's Shad?

Hi Red Owl,

I think it is just a bit early especially up river. What part of the river do you fish?

Frank
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Around Marina Isle, Mullet Park, Lemon Bluff. Upriver from Lake Monroe.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Cool, That's some of my old stomping grounds (early 90's). I had a houseboat docked in "Sanford Boat works" and my inlaws had one up along Lemon Bluff. The LM Bass should be schooling still along the edges of runs and entries to the flats. The stripers may be holding some already at the entrances to bends just as the water depth starts to increase (creates a nice edge for them out of the flow while they wait for shad). Its a bit early still for the shad run but I've seen some activity this time of year (once) and nature has been a couple weeks early of late. I'd be casting for those schooling LM.

I sure did love fishing for stripers during the shad run down there. Good luck and tight lines.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering. What kind of shad are you referring to? Here in Nor Cal, we get American Shad runs in May, June, and July.

MP
Old 12-25-2009, 03:09 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I believe the ones in the late January - mid March run are called threadfin shad. 2 - 4 inches long. Both large mouth and striped bass hit these hard for some of the best top water action I've ever experienced. Early morning or late evening you fish round a sand bar, head of a river bend or some large structure. The preditor fish lay in wait and when the shad schools come through its a vertual frenzy of multiple thrashing bass on the top of the water. Throw a floating streamer out in the middle of these and you get a hit almost every time. No joke...

Also, the American shad are a great game fish on the st. john's and run 2 - 4 lb's. I've never fished for them...maybe someone else here?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:23 PM

I meant American Shad- sorry for any confusion.