The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 PM

fishingadam95 is on a distinguished road
Default western north carolina fishing

im going to be in canton nc april 2-10th and want to do some fishing down there. i will be limited to only one fly rod and one spinning reel. what kind of fly's and lures work for the trout down there. also what are some good rivers/lakes in the area for trout
Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: western north carolina fishing

Adam,

You have to say hey before asking questions here.

Hello, welcome to the forum. If you don't take time to say hello we don't even know who you are. Lures won't work at all, heck I don't even remember how to tie one.

For flies I would call or stop at the nearest Fly Fishing store to your destination.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the board, from where you will be there are tail waters, stocked streams and wild trout streams with native brookies all within an hours drive.
Here a couple of links that will give you some information on the area and the streams that are available with the hatch charts.
Fly Fishing in North Carolina - Fly Fishing Community
A Guide to Fly Fishing North Carolina mountain trout streams

There are some waters in the area that are fly fishing only so take care before you pull out the spinning outfit. Hope this will help.

GJ
Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Fishing is good especially mid day (warmest part)...

from the local report:

Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:

Midges
Tiny BWO's

"Must-have" fly fishing patterns in descending order of importance:

Fly Name: Fly Color: Fly Size(s):
Bead Head Micro Midge Black 22
Hetro-genius Nymph Orange 18-20
Crystal Midge Pupa Black 22-24
Cdc Midge Pupa Black 22
Red Hot Nymph Red 24-26
Lightning Bug Silver, Pearl, Red 20

in short, black midge larve and Pupa are main stay. bottom line is SMALL flies and I would prepare for using a "cast" of them, focusing on the bottom 4 inches of the water column. Look for the deep slow sections and get them down on the bottom. Imploy a strike indicator to detect the take as they are very timid. There is opportunity for some dry fly action but it shouldn't be your primary focus.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:16 AM

foulhook is on a distinguished road

In April I catch a lot of fish on nymphs, especially Pheasant Tail size 16-18 and Copper John 14-16. Small dry flies work well too, Adams and Parachute Adams size 14 have worked well in the past. Never hurts to trail a midge behind anything.

Don't forget your Woolly Buggers!

The Davidson River isn't far from Canton and is a highly rated fly fishing river, but be ready to fight the crowds because it's also a huge tourist attraction.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Ditto I agree with you.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 AM

chadd7881 is on a distinguished road

i have to agree with foulhook here I have luck with the adams year around here is a link to a really good hatch chart for this area http://www.cherokee-nc.com/tiny_mce/...HatchChart.JPG , if you are looking to fish trophy trout waters i would look into going to cherokee and fishing the catch and release on big cove road the size of the fish there are amazing if your interested in that here is a link to that, they do have special fees for fishing on the resveration but i personally think the few dollars you spend there is worth it and your at the foot of great smoky mountain national park as long as you have a state fishing permit you can fish natives on the parkway which is also fun Best Fishing in the NC Mountains - Come to Cherokee, North Carolina if you want to stay close to canton j creek, big creek, caldwell fork, cataloochee creek is all good fishing and you never know you might get your fly fishing interupted by an elk crossing through the creek if your around the Cataloochee and National park areas... if you need any more info let me know
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

There's some spots on here that are pretty easy to get to and fertile rivers. Of course, being published like that you must likely will see other fishers. IMO if you want the true experience (and have the time) hike into the smokies and get into some of the wild waters up there.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Forgot the link:
WNC Fly Fishing Trail
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 PM

jeraldfler is on a distinguished road

I'm moving to Charlotte any suggestions on night life options?

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

He he....if during the day, you wade out to a perfect spot for casting into pools, remember the bottom and your wading approach step by step, close your eyes and listen to what is around you, orient yourself to whats beside and behind by the sounds...

...at night you can find your way out there and fish for LARGE brown trout that simply won't bite anything during the day.

I got one on a few weeks back at least as long as my arm. Deer hair popper - the fight was about 7 minutes +/- and once she was "done" I got her the last few feet in and touched her....and she was gone