The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Springtime rainbows

I headed to a small blue line today and did a bit of fishing. I fished a dry/dropper all day. I had too many strikes and rises on the dry to even count, man the fish were active. Most fish were caught on the nymph, but I did manage 3 or 4 on the dry.

I started in the headwaters, the stream is small and tight at this point, but it sure is pretty up there. So quiet and peaceful, just me and the fish, and maybe a bear or two.

The trout need to take down their Christmas tree, it's April for goodness sakes.

Click the image to open in full size.

No trail and no road, only way in is the stream and the only way out is the stream.

First little rainbow of the day.

After a bit of combat fishing, I decided to head downstream where it's a little bigger and easier to fish.

I was quickly into plenty of these hungry little buggers.

It was a beautiful day, except for the 22+MPH wind gusts. There were a few times the wind was so bad my fly was drifting upstream. I slowed down a bit, fished slow, took a lot of breaks and just enjoyed being outdoors in such a beautiful place.

This was the best fish of the day. He's no monster, but a good fish for this stream. What happened to his tail, or her tail? Is that from spawning, fanning the redds or something? I have seen stockers with messed up tails like that, but never on a wild fish.

Flowers in bloom, it's Spring. Soon I will be shedding the waders, I can't wait.

All and all, it was a great day. I'm above ground, I caught a lot of fish, and I was outside enjoying the mountains all day. What else could a man want?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Springtime rainbows

possessed: Great photos of a beautiful little stream and some gorgeous trout! Looks like you had a fantastic day on the water. It has been blowing here all day, the forecast called for 25-35 mph, but at least we are back in warmer wx so I'm not complaining.

Larry

Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Possessed those are some gorgeous little guys. Makes my casting arm start twitching.
Such a beautiful area too, thanks for sharing.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Possessed... Great report. You really got into some beauties. I noticed you caught both bows and browns. Do you have many wild brookie streams down your way? I have friends in Asheville, NC that I've been meaning to visit for a while now. It would be a great excuse to fish some NC trout streams.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Thanks guys. As far as wild brook trout, we have quite a few wild brook streams here, I also fish a few in VA.

I have not yet gone after brooks this year, the higher elevation streams are just now likely getting warm enough to fish. I will go after some this week.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:11 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Possesed...great post and pics. Tickled to see that you had such a great day on the water.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road

Man, looks like a great day on the water. Those are some gorgeous trout! I wish I wasn't sitting in front of my computer screen, I'd kill to be out in a stream like that right now...
Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report,this little stream is really beautiful!You're luckier than me...my first trout outing was really bad
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Great report and beautiful pics of a beautiful place. I kinda miss those Rhododendron
forests back East.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most excellent! Drool all over the keyboard again...I'm sure I could make millions if I could just invent a drool drain for use over keyboards when perusing everything fly fishing...

Thanks for sharing. That is my idea of sacred water.

Kelly.