The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM

bales michael is on a distinguished road
Default Mosquito Lagoon, Florida Fishing Report

Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Report January 20th, 2010

What an Amazing few weeks of weather here in Florida! Record low temperatures have been upon us for the first two weeks of January and it has been down right FRIGID.

I didnít do much fishing but paid close attention to weather reports, being very concerned about all of Floridaís fisheries and the impact this weather would have on them. Snook in West Florida, Tarpon in the estuaries, Redfish in the lagoon? How would they survive? Some parts of our state were hit harder than others with varied reports of fisheries health from across the Region. The state even issued a special executive order on the Closures for Tarpon, Bonefish and Snook.
Check the link below for more info:

http://myfwc.com/docs/Newsroom/EO_10...onBonefish.pdf

This past week however, the Mosquito Lagoon weather has been beautiful. With the bright sunny skies and 60-70 degree weather and light to moderate winds, the water temperature has risen quickly with the visibility being super clear. Water levels have also dropped to their winter-time depths across most of the lagoon.

I was able to take a few charters this past week. Most days were spent sight-fishing to schools of cruising redfish pitching a Riptide shrimp in natural or ghost shrimp. The fish are still quickly adjusting to the water temps and feeding aggressively in the middle of the day when the water is at its warmest. Look for a leeward bank with some soft bottom, possibly nesting birds, getting direct sunlight and you should find redfish. Always pay close attention to the birds location and any sort of bait movement. These are important signs to help locate fish.

The fly fishing has been relatively good this week. Throughout the winter, smaller flies and accurate presentations will be the key. The best producers of the week have been the Bruja Crab(my recent favorite), a gold or black tinsel Toad, or any crab/slider pattern should also work.

Frank & Jim from Maine joined me for a two day charter this week fishing on Friday and Saturday and had a great time catching redfish on plastics and live shrimp. Marc and Paul from Texas also fished with me on Monday and caught several trout and redfish with the Gulp Alive Shrimp! All fish were released to hopefully fight again!!

I hope to see you on the water soon.

Captain Mike Bales
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Mosquito Lagoon, Florida Fishing Report

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report. Did you see any die off when you were out and around. The Natural Coast had a lot of temperatures that were down in the mid-twenties. Did you get temperatures that cold?

Frank
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM

bales michael is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Mosquito Lagoon, Florida Fishing Report

There were quite alot of snook in west and southwest killed.
here on the lagoon I personally saw dead-ladyfish,puffers,mullet,needlefish and trout. Interesting though, most of the trout that I saw dead were LARGER fish (Say4-9 lbs) most of the smaller trout seemed to have done well as they usually winter in deeper water.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

here on the lagoon I personally saw dead-ladyfish,puffers,mullet,needlefish and trout. Interesting though, most of the trout that I saw dead were LARGER fish (Say4-9 lbs) most of the smaller trout seemed to have done well as they usually winter in deeper water.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------