The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Some slow fishing in the high country

I recently went on a 2 day 1 night trip to the high country. I found out quickly the water is 10-12 degrees colder in the higher elevations compared to the lower elevation streams I have been fishing this year.

Click the image to open in full size.

The fishing was very slow. I fished 5 creeks and barely scraped up a handful of small rainbows. No browns were caught but I did at least manage to hook one.

4 of the 5 streams I fished are streams I am fairly familiar with and they typically yield very good numbers of fish, with a few larger ones thrown in from time to time. I am not the best fly flinger in the world, but I am convinced the water temps had them shut down.

Yesterday, I fished one of the best brook trout streams in NC and got skunked. I did have one rise to the dry and hooked another with the nymph. That was it.

I thought yesterday's hike out was going to kill me. I need to drop a few pounds, it was a grim reminder of what poor shape I am in. It is a brutal and very steep uphill hike. I thought my knees were going to give out on me and I am pretty sure I suffered a mild heart attack about 3/4 of the way up.

It was still a fun trip and the scenery was amazing. The mountains look so different this time of year with no foliage, except for the rhododendron.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some slow fishing in the high country

Those are some great pics Possessed, and a beautiful place to be fishing.

Dave
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM

bobbymojo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some slow fishing in the high country

Between this post and the other on Rainbows you fish in beautiful places. I have fished in the Smokey's (TN side) and love the scenery. Your pictures are great and to take a few fish is even better.

Keep sharing your adventures so I can live vicariously through you.

Bob