The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Tested out some new water

I headed for the hills today to fish some new to me streams. I arrived at the stream and began fishing immediately. I fished for about 10 minutes and the thunder started, then the black clouds came rolling over the ridge, the wind kicked up and I figured it best I get back to the truck.

As I made it back to the truck, the skies were blue and the wind was calm. The storm had moved on over the mountain. I started back fishing and about 20 minutes later, the same thing happened.

I resumed fishing for a while, but the catching was slow. I had picked up a few rainbows in between the false storm alerts, but it was really slow. The stream was really pretty even if the fish were taunting me. The fish were small and/or camera shy, so no fish pics for this stream.

Click the image to open in full size.

I decided to call it quits for that section and drive up the mountain to fish the headwaters, hoping to catch the elusive wild brook trout. As I headed up the mountain, the weather got really nasty. I could see clear skies to the east, so I decided to head over the ridge and fish another stream, hoping for better weather.

It got a tad foggy the higher I got.

I arrived at the new stream, about 2000 feet lower elevation. The weather was perfect, but the wet roads were a sure sign it had already rained there. I found the stream to be slightly up, yet very fishable. The water was pretty stained, so I tied on a green weenie, I figured the trout could easily see it in the murky water.

I was quickly into some fish. I caught quite a few, all on the weenie. I did have a few rises and strikes on the dry. The best fish of the day refused to have his picture taken.

It was a good day, even though the catching was not great. I wore my waders today, thinking the water would be colder than it was. I almost roasted in those things, wet wading season is now here, at least until November.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tested out some new water

I am loving those streams man! Great pictures and an excellent report. Thanks for sharing this, it reminds me of the Cohutta Wilderness in North West Georgia. The mountains there and all the way up through the Smokies can have days just like you so well described.

Loving it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM

flcracker83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to flcracker83

I have to admit I'm very jealous that we don't have anything like this down in Florida
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent trip report, that water you fished is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Larry