The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM

cgator is on a distinguished road
Default Still too @#$%***cold!

Ventured out yesterday and found out how out of shape (coordination and casting muscles) I am. Afraid to take my new rod (store-bought, not homemade) and mounted my trusty Martin automatic (I know this offends some of you) and as I was rigging rod, the @#$%^**reel came apart. Back to truck, changed reels, rerigged and since there was nothing happening on the surface, tried a weighted nymphy-type fly (very first time I've ever used a weighted fly) that sunk like a rock. On the first cast, I dredged the fly out of the depths of the pond, along with a chunk of goopy algae and wrapped the line around my head and a handy tree. By the time I got untangled, I made a few more casts and caught several more goopy clumps of algae and then the fishing gods saw that I had a fly rod and fired up the wind (gentle breeze of 15-20 mph). Although someone "last week" caught an obviously mentally challenged crappie, there were no signs of any fish doing anything anywhere.
Went home, ate supper, took Motrin and dreamed about big, fat, bedding bream. Maybe next week?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Still too @#$%***cold!

that sucks. that's even worse than my day. I fished at the lake and didn't see a scale or a tail. I decided to put everything back in the van and walk around to the other side of the lake before I left. Once I got there I saw SCHOOLS of largemouths swimming around. I walked up to the bank at one point to watch one and kicked up a 15-17" largemouth that was hanging out next to shore.