The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orlando area in August - your top tips!

Getting real itchy now - time to start sorting out the gear before Saturday. Got some great flies coming that have caught the big 3 well in Cuba (over 100 Grand Slams on this one pattern so far I am told) and I want to try them out on the reds.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 AM

floridaflyer is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul.

Glad to hear your coming to my neighborhood. It's a great place and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Peacock bass are found in Southern Florida around the Miami canals. You are going to be over 200 miles North of that so you won't find them here.

The bass fishing is fantastic in Orlando, but the heat of high summer really shuts down the bite. Pre-dawn or evening fishing is your best bet.

Now the Mosquito Lagoon is another thing altogether. This is a great time to go. The fish have been very active. There are plenty of places to wade if you are going that route. There are canoe and kayak rentals you can take advantage of.

If you are interested in a very good Orlando fly shop you can't do better than Orlando Outfitters.

I know a guide that works out of that shop, Todd Fuller. Nice guy. He'll get you on fish if you want to go that route.

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. I hope this gets you on to some fish.

Take care,
Ed Mercado.
Merc Consulting - Web Design for Central Florida
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

Just wanted to check back in post-trip and say we enjoyed the Orlando area despite the heat doing its best to melt us daily.

Only managed one days fishing - self-guiding down the Space Coast for 2 small catfish and my first speck which was cool. Not enough action at the spots I could fish - only saw one small pod of reds all day busting mullet and not interested in anything else. Great experience though.

Best part of the trip was the chace to hook up with Frank at long last and shoot the breeze over a trip to the Bass Pro Shops and a very nice lunch - thanks again Frank! Did you get out and use those monster worms yet??