The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default GSMNP Trip Report (Pic heavy)

A fishing buddy from another forum, Oldman and I just returned home from a 4 day/3 night back country fishing and camping trip. I had a really good time, but it sure is good to be home. After I took a nice long shower, I felt almost human again.

Overall, the fishing was pretty slow, but we did manage to catch some decent fish. It was about 50/50 on the dry versus the nymph. Most strikes were subtle, a quick hookset was critical. I lost a bunch of fish due to slow reaction. Oldman outfished me at least 3 - 1.

The ride over.

Click the image to open in full size.

The hike in.

After setting up camp and chatting with our camp neighbors, we set off the do some fishing.

The catching was slow, but we did manage to get enough for supper. Campfire roasted trout was a nice treat.

Day 2 started with a bit of a hike as we decided to head much farther upstream. We were on a mission to catch some trout, but we did stop long enough to "smell the roses".

Oldman managed one brown and one brook, and about 25 rainbows, completing his slam.

Day 3 we decided to head farther downstream. We met this guy on the trail. I took a quick picture of him and I think I made him angry. He quickly turned around, raised his head, and started rattling. We decided we would let him have the trail all to himself. We walked around, giving him plenty of room.

Our camp mascot visited every morning and every evening.

While waiting for our boat ride back, we had some company.

It was a good trip, and as I stated, the fishing was really slow. We had fun and I look forward to my next back country adventure.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: GSMNP Trip Report (Pic heavy)

Outstanding!!

Funny, I posted to another member asking about the park and I mentioned the eastern timber rattler as being a regular feature there. Great pictures.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Great pics, but got to admit a couple gave me the willies. Geez! Too close.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I still get the willies when I think about that rattling sound. I have heard a rattler rattling on TV, but that was my first and hopefully last real life encounter. I would have rather walked upon a bear.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

looks like a great trip ( looks to me like Hazel or Forney Cr.) I had a timber rattler hit me on the pant leg on Hazel couple years ago luckly he only got the big floppy cloth legs be scared the beejeez out of me . We are lucky to be able to have the GSMNP so close. I always ride my horses in and pack the mules .. Great pics to ..
Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

One struck at me last year. My buddy saw it, and said man, was that close. I think that we just scared each other. It was a rattle-strike. After that no more rattling. We just looked at each other. It was a small guy about 3' long.

Geez, it just sunk-in. Hit you on the pant leg. Holy Cow! Way too close.

Last edited by Jimmie; 05-04-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: pant leg
Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report, photos and fish! Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a good time despite the slow fishing, that is some beautiful country. I don't like snakes either, especially rattle snakes!

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM

We were at Eagle Creek.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:53 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

looked like hazel. eagle is the only creek in the GSMNP i have not fished.. And that was way to close that hit on the pant leg.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM

waders4 is on a distinguished road

AWESOME report. Thanks for sharing.