The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 AM

blueheels2 is on a distinguished road
Default New River Fly Fishing

Headed up to West Jefferson NC, which is about 20 minutes NE of Boone, Sat through Tuesday. I plan to get at least 1 full day of fishing in and maybe another half day if I'm lucky. Anybody know any honey holes up in this area. Got any tips for what will work best. Plan on fishing for trout obviously, and might try for some smallmouth as well. Any suggestions on how to fish, techniques, or what to use would be helpful! I plan on stopping at a local fish shop to see what they are biting on.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New River Fly Fishing

I was up there last weekend I'm from lenoir. and dad and I fished the north fork right off of 88 and caught some wild and stocker browns, I had an 18" snap off. But the water was up really high and we were just throwing white bugers and streamers to current breaks, log jams, eddies, boulders, etc. The fish were gennerally held up in front of the breaks. We were making quartering casts letting it dead drift and then stripping it upstream. I'm pretty sure the South Fork is what flows through west jefferson. We were fishing in creston, also consider hitting meatcamp.