The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default grass carp on fly

Many fishermen have seen grass carp cruising in the shallow areas of ponds and lakes but few have attempted to catch them. It took me a week to catch my first carp and i wanna share with everyone how to catch one of these monsters
The grass carp or the white amur run up to 40 pounds in my lakes so they are a great fight. you can chum with bread but the easiest way to catch them is with a small white fly. i used a popper when the carp are cruising or feeding just cast it about 3-5 feet in front of them and they will surface and eat for fly and then hold on. I have heard they fight similar to a redfish but i cant say because ive never caught a redfish. well goodluck

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/guitardude123e/?action=view&current=image4.jpg&newest=1

click on the carp on fly words to see picture
Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: grass carp on fly

Nice fish! Carp fishing has exploded up in the Great Lakes region. Guided trip options are popping up everwhere. It would be interesting to post pictures of the flies you use while catching the grass carp.

I certainly need to begin fishing for carp more often. Grass carp are certainly fun to catch. I have seen them hit mepps spinners in addition to flies.

Golf courses are a great place to fish for grass carp since they are routinely stocked in ponds allowing superintendents to collect grass clippings while mowing fairways without having to disperse the clippings in the rough.

If fishing for grass carp on a golf course (with tears in your eyes, trying to become the Master's Champion), you may need to search out flies containing "A Cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensimilla."
Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Carl Spackler told me it is illegal to even target grass carp in CA, not sure about other states, but "Spackler Bent" is legal with a 213 card. milt.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish, congrats! I have yet to try fly fishing for Carp, but this sure gets me motivated!

Larry

Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM

missouriflies is on a distinguished road

I catch these all the time here in St. Louis, MO. I run a website and sell flies for carp, catfish, freshwater drum etc. It's not unusual to see fish in the 4ft range. if anyone needs flies for grass carp check out my site
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

which of the flys do you recommend for grass carp? the pellet?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM

I primarily use 3 flies in this order #1 Black ops #2 Crayfish #3 pellet
Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM

you should post a how to in the fly tying section for these flies.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
you should post a how to in the fly tying section for these flies.
you can check out my youtube channel

or my videos page
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

[QUOTE=grassonfly;272782]Many fishermen have seen grass carp cruising in the shallow areas of ponds and lakes but few have attempted to catch them. It took me a week to catch my first carp and i wanna share with everyone how to catch one of these monsters
The grass carp or the white amur run up to 40 pounds in my lakes so they are a great fight. you can chum with bread but the easiest way to catch them is with a small white fly. i used a popper when the carp are cruising or feeding just cast it about 3-5 feet in front of them and they will surface and eat for fly and then hold on. I have heard they fight similar to a redfish but i cant say because ive never caught a redfish. well goodluck

carp on fly picture by guitardude123e - Photobucket

Grassies and the Common Carp are two very different beasts! Grass Flies work especially near golf courses or drainage ponds where they cut the grass. Here's a great article right down there near you in South Florida. Learn when the Ficus Berries fall and have your flies ready:
Fly Fishing - Miami Florida Fly Fishing: Peacock Bass & Grass Carp, A Berry Good Time!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/