The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 PM

rapala1 is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy needs advise for Nc

Hi,
I started fly fishing my last on vacation and got hooked, I've been tying flies quite a bit and I'm to the point where they dont look half bad. My problem now is that I dont really know what patterns to tie. I dont live near trout waters so I dont get to practice through trial and error. I found this site and thought someone here could help. In a few weeks (early August) I plan on going to Wilsons Creek NC for a few days for some trout, Its the closest stream, 2 1/2 hours away. Does anyone know some general flies that work there? I'd like to go ahead and tie up some patterns. I like using nymphs and dries. I've been using copper johns, pheasant tail nymphs, and a few of my own patterns. Anything that could improve my box would help. Also, has anyone fished wilson creek, is it any good? thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Guy needs advise for Nc

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I am quite a ways from you but these are pretty foolproof for dries.

Adams: size 14, 16, 18
Lt. Cahill: Size 14, 16. 18
Blue Quill: 18
Elk Hair Caddis: 14, 16
Heneryville Caddis: 14, 16, 18

Do you have a book of fly patterns? That's how I started, I was tying steelhead flies 20 years before I ever saw a steelhead. I guess I'm saying tie everything that you have materials to tie. When you find stuff that you don't have materials for then it's time to go shopping. In the early 1970's the nearest Orvis shop was a three hour drive from my home but if I wanted a selection of the really cool stuff that's where I went.

The flies I listed worked in North GA. and the Smokies, all the way to the Rapidan headwaters so they will work in NC. streams.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have to agree with ARD on these patterns maybe add some wulff and stimulator patterns in and you should be ok i have never fished Wilson creek but do live in WNCand you will not go wrong with those..
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

If you are planning to fish Wilson Creek DH, there will be very few trout there until they start stocking. I do not fish stocked waters, but they are pretty much cleaned out once harvest season opens.

If you are referring to upper Wilson, wild trout special regs capture and release, it is an excellent stream, I hear. I have personally never fished it.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM

flyfishwcu is on a distinguished road

I fish Wilson creek off and on during the DH season, its closer to where i live (1hr 30min) than most streams and can be a lot of fun. However Wilson Creek DH will not be worth fishing again till october when they close it back down and start re-stocking the trout. During the DH season it is an excellent stream to catch trout in, and a great place to work on your small stream skills. Where do you live? might be able to help you out with another stream to fish that would be more worth your while this time of year.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rapala1, welcome to the forum.

Ard gave you some great suggestions for trout flies to tie up for your trip to NC, and would be good to have in your box anywhere there are some trout around.

But you also mentioned that you don't live near trout waters-- and I just wanted to encourage you to think about chasing other stuff closer to home too-- panfish and bass are a blast on a fly rod and are pretty much everywhere and there may be other options too depending on where you live.

Let us know what part of the country you're in (or part of the world since we have a bunch of international folks too) Folks will probably have a bunch of suggestions as to other fish that are worth chasing with a fly rod.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

rapala1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Hey Rapala1, welcome to the forum.

Ard gave you some great suggestions for trout flies to tie up for your trip to NC, and would be good to have in your box anywhere there are some trout around.

But you also mentioned that you don't live near trout waters-- and I just wanted to encourage you to think about chasing other stuff closer to home too-- panfish and bass are a blast on a fly rod and are pretty much everywhere and there may be other options too depending on where you live.

Let us know what part of the country you're in (or part of the world since we have a bunch of international folks too) Folks will probably have a bunch of suggestions as to other fish that are worth chasing with a fly rod.
Thanks for the warm welcome,
to answer your question I live in lexington, NC. Dont worry about me going after other fish, i live and breathe off of crappie fishing on High Rock Lake.
since several of you guys think Wilson creek is a bad idea, where would you guys suggest? I dont want too long of a drive; no more then 4 hours if i can help it since gas prices and all. thanks to everyone for the help by the way