Fly fishing Info Long Key state park

esleech

Reaction score
Will be camping at Long Key state park over the 4th of July weekend, looking for any info on the area. I'm from Michigan and have been fly fishing for Trout, Steelhead and Salmon for years but this will be my first trip Saltwater fishing...so any help would be appreciated.

flatslandercp

Reaction score
Visit our website and you'll find a link on the left side to my American Angler article, "Skinflint's Guide to the Florida Keys." All places you can drive to. We stay at LKSP, so there are several paragraphs on the flats right there.

But briefly - the ocean side flat in front of the campground can be good in the morning if you beat the swimmers out. With a kayak, the mangroves to the east hold baby tarpon and the deeper water bigger poons.

The bayside flat (go through the gate at the last bath house) can be good but only on low and mid tides. Too deep to wade at high. Bones and baby poons, with bigger poons on the mangroves east.

Also check my article for good places to eat. No Name Pub for shrimp and little furry fish (anchovy) pizza, Mangrove Mama's on Sugarloaf for the blackened bluefish sandwich.

Have fun, and don't hesitate to PM or email me with questions.

Craig