The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 AM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road
Default Orlando Area Saltwater Report 7/31/11

The redfish bite in Mosquito Lagoon is still extremely good. The water clarity is very poor in many places making it tougher to spot the fish. Most mornings, you can find tailing fish or see them blasting mullet pods. As the morning moves on, the tails are less frequent and it is still hard to see in the water. By midday, you can spot the fish moving across the flat as long as the sun is out. Most of the fish we have been spotting are ten pounds and up making them a bit easier to see.

A DOA Baitbuster worked along the surface will draw strikes all day long but is especially effective first thing in the morning. With floating grass very heavy throughout the Lagoon. This is one topwater bait that can still be used effectively. Other lures we used this week included the 5.5 inch CAL in holographic, a 3 inch CAL in watermelon holographic, a black redfish worm fly, and an EP pinfish fly.

Shawn started off the day by watching a redfish slam his Baitbuster. A few minutes later, he landed his biggest redfish to date.

Click the image to open in full size.

The following day, Jeff had a redfish in the 30 pound range eat his Baitbuster only to have it break off on the hook set. He had lots of shots at fish throughout the day and managed to land a few.

Freelann and Jeff started off the morning landing some nice fish on the Baitbuster. We then switched to the holographic 5.5 inch CAL later in the day.

Jeff wanted to try some saltwater fly fishing in Mosquito Lagoon. Solid cloud cover made for some extremely difficult sight fishing conditions but he managed to put a black redfish worm in front of a nice redfish.

I went back out that afternoon for a bit of fun and exploring. The fish were happy to eat and I got three to eat the Baitbuster along with numerous other bites. I tried the EP pinfish fly and landed two more before storms chased me back to the ramp.

Jack and Debbie both landed redfish on their first trip to Mosquito Lagoon this week.

Allen and Chris were greeted by both tailing redfish and other pods crashing mullet schools as we pulled up to our spot at first light. They fired out the Baitbusters for a couple hookups and many more bites.

With the algae clouding the water, it is extremely important to have the proper glasses if you want to see the fish. Gray lenses prove to be very ineffective on a weekly basis. Choose copper, brown, or vermilion, for color enhancement and clarity on the flats. Cloudy water means your casts have to be accurate for the fish to see the lure. Most of the shots we are getting the past couple weeks are from 15-30 feet from the boat. When the fish are that close, you are normally going to get one shot before they see you. Short, quick, accurate casts will get bites.

Capt. Chris Myers
Orlando Fishing Guide
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orlando Area Saltwater Report 7/31/11

Awesome, I cant wait until we move to orlando!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM

cdaxj is on a distinguished road

Nice reds!

Question: I grew up bass fishing in the "lakes" of North Texas, and I've been on the west coast of Florida for about 3 years now. I still getting to know the waters, and more importantly, the fish out here.

I was out last week early, before light. We put our kayaks in near some mangrove clearings at one of the beaches, and there was some wicked hits on top of the water, so we decided to use popper flys while they were feeding. I got one on, and got him sort of close to the boat, but he beat me and got off the hook. It was still dark so I didn't see him. Not much of a fighter, so I assume it was a trout.

Anyway, my question is this: when I see/hear the fish hitting bait on top of the water, hard like that, early in the morning, near mangroves...what's the likely species? Trout, redfish, snook? Im pretty sure they weren't snook, and I have no idea if trout surface like that or not. Usually when I see surface fish, it's either ladyfish, or spanish macks.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
CJ
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Both snook and reds will hammer surface bait, but you also have to watch out that you're not being deceived by mullet. Mullet are constantly jumping, everywhere, and sometimes it sounds like a surface strike. Ladyfish will also tear up the surface. It could also be jack close to shore, but they are usually active in schools and hit the surface more like tuna, driving it into a boil.... haha, sorry for the lack of a definitive answer here! In saltwater near the mangroves, its more than likely snook, reds, or ladyfish hitting the surface, at least in my experience.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 PM

cdaxj is on a distinguished road

They definitely weren't mullet. I have at least learned to identify those guys. There were tons of chasers around, much like I've seen snook do, so I suppose it could've been them. I just associate snook with the beach this time of year but I'm probably off on that. I am told they like the mangroves as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Alright, I wasn't sure if you were just hearing strikes or seeing them, upon reading your question again I see you mentioned seeing them as well. Obviously with the mullet, they aren't viciously hitting surface plankton or algae Ladyfish are ultra aggressive and will strike anything, and you often find them on the grass flats around mangroves, in the same places you find trout. Then you have to worry about the fact that needlefish and pinfish and other bait-stealers will also chase anything that moves through waters they are in, but they won't be making those vicious surface strikes.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...