The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road
Default Northern Flordia Guides

I'm on spring break the week of March 12th and I think I would like to go down to Flordia and spend a day fishing. I was wondering if you all knew of any good guides or good places to look for guides. I'd prefer to flyfish, but any fishing would be acceptable. I'll be driving down from Tennessee with a friend, so Northern FL (gulf of mexico) would be ideal for us. I'm also open to other places within about 8 hours of here (preferably not a colder place ). I live an hour south of Nashville or an hour north of Huntsville, AL. Keep in mind that I have a 5w rod and my friend has no fly-fishing equipment, so where ever we go we would need equipment provided. I'm also on somewhat of a budget, so no $3-500 a day trips... Thanks in advance for your help. Greg
Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Fly Guyusa will become famous soon enoughFly Guyusa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Northern Flordia Guides

I guide in Tampa/St. Pete area. If you've never fly fished saltwater, a do it yourself trip is not a good idea. You can do some wade fishing in my area. Water in my area is in the low 60's, cold for not having waders. The further north you go, the colder it will be. Winds can be from 0 to 20 knots. A five wt. is too light for most fishing. An 8 wt. is ideal. Yesterday the air temp was 53 degrees. Today 65. March can be good, but some cold fronts will lower water temp and these southern fish are very affected. Really best to hire a good guide first day. He can show you a lot to cut your learning curve. The rest of your trip will be much better when you know what to look for. Otherwise, get some shrimp and spinning tackle!