The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By possessed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Brookamus Troutamus TR (Pic heavy)

Oldman, a friend from another forum, and I set out yesterday with one thing in mind, catch some brook trout. We arrived at the stream at 930 and immediately began fishing. This is a very small stream and we had to take turns fishing. I was up first and had a a nice trout rise to my dry on the first cast. Unfortunately, this would be the only action we would see for a while.

Perfect brook trout habitat and a beautiful stream.

Click the image to open in full size.

After an hour of tough fishing, this was all we had to show for it.

While Oldman was fishing, I took a few more stream pics. Perfect habitat for our slithery, speckled quarry.

Somewhere around 1030, it was like someone flipped a switch and it was on.

The higher we went, the more obstacles we encountered and were soon into some hardcore combat fishing.

It took 15 minutes of climbing, clawing, and belly crawling through some intense rhodo to get from the pool below to where I took this pic. That pool yielded 12 brook trout. I watched Oldman fish it for a while, then I casted in and caught a few for myself.

A few brook trout pics.

Mr. Bear, you left one.

Around 430, we decided to bale out of the stream. We knew we had a good bit of bushwacking and more belly crawling to get from the stream to the old trail. Once back at the car, Oldman casted in and caught a pretty nice rainbow, but we did not get a pic.

It was a great day, and by far, the most productive day I have ever had. We were counting for a while but we quit counting somewhere around 90 fish. A fair estimate would be 120 brook trout caught and released. They were hungry and many pools yielded 8-12 fish.

This was my first time fishing this feeder stream, although I fish the main stream quite often. Oldman has told me several times I need to fish it, I am glad I finally did.

Most fish were caught on bushy dries and BHHE nymphs. I did fish a green weenie for a short time, but the other combo seemed to be more productive.
araitim likes this.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Brookamus Troutamus TR (Pic heavy)

looks like you guys had a great time on that little stream!
nice report
thank you for sharing.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A trail less traveled yielded a day of memories that will carry you thru many a cold winters night.

There certainly is a message within this post!

Thanks...

Dave
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Brookamus Troutamus TR (Pic heavy)

Great report and beautiful pictures! Thank you for taking the time to post it all and allow some of us to dream for a little while :-)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Nice pics!! I had so much fun fishing little creeks like that in the Smokies this past fall

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Wow! I mentioned the Hour Pond Brook (NY Adirondacks) in another thread a few days ago, and if those pics (and the size and color of the Brookies) don't take me back there, some 40 years ago, nothing does! Thank you for bringing back such good memories!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM

thetrouttickler is on a distinguished road

Beautiful scenery and stunning little fish, and it seems you had to really work hard to get to them... what a great reward. Thanks for posting the photos.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a beautiful little creek!not surprising to find such nice brookies there
Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you guys had a spectacular day catching beautiful Brookies on a gorgeous stream! Congrats!