The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM

flysean will become famous soon enough
Default tying dry flies

As i said i am a beginner and i no nothing but practice as much as i can. I want to try dry flies now and not sure of what ones to start out on tying. I need easy ones so any suggestions would be appreciated . thank you. I have some brown and grizzly hackle size 14 and 18 if that helps .Ii also need to buy materials too i have some but its hard with so many things to buy and not knowing where to start. every fly needs a "certain" material it seems . so what did you guys start out with buying . i am not a rich guy but i willl buy what is needed . than you so very much for putting up with the "dumb" questions.lol
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: tying dry flies

Hey Sean,

I'm new too and haven't really jumped into tying too many dries so hopefully someone else will weigh in on this soon enough. However, check out the "stimulator" fly pattern, whether its the orange stimulator or yellow stimulator or otherwise. It's fairly simple, but I can say that the two I tried to tie came out quite ugly, though I can't say what the fish think of them. You could also tie soft hackles as dries, if I'm not mistaken, and these are pretty simple. Again, I'm hardly experienced with dries (or anything for that matter), but I'm sure other people will check in here soon with more info!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Usually the most expensive material to buy for dries is the hackle. Since you have grizzly and brown you can tie Adams (thought by many to be the best dry ever). Good to learn to tie regular and parachute style. In fact those two colors of hackle will tie many many styles; mosuitoes; stimulators; humpies; ants; others. Just Google, "how to tie a ......." and you can usually get a video.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Two bugs that you can start out with are the Adams and the Elk Hair Caddis. You can use the hackle that you have. They use the same hooks (TMC 100), so that can save you some coin. Just add dubbing, wire, and thread.

A $20 bill should cover it.

Dennis
Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great suggestions. Here are some vids to help you along:

Good luck and most of all - have fun.

Kelly.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

X2 for the caddis and stimulator, if you get a nice patch of elk hair, these are great patterns. If you can, buy a dry fly dubbing box that gives you usually 12 different colors. When you tie the adams you may not use the official muskrat fur dubbing, but the box will have a dubbing that's the right color. If you have some hare's ear dubbing you can tie a parachute hare's ear with the grizzly hackle.

Get some white polypropylene floating yarn for the parachute. There are a number of materials you can use for parachutes, but this one is cheap and easy to work with. I'd get some of the microfibets for dry tails. They aren't expensive and are thin and stiff and easy to work with. Don't stress too much buying the exact materials for every pattern, build your supply slowly. If you tie an 18 blue wing olive with grizzly hackle instead of dun, the fish might not notice. You never know, the slight difference in your fly might be just the thing that triggers the strike.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Sean,I will try to post a step by step to tie a dry this weekend...This pattern is easy and you will need very few materials(hackle,thread and floss)it can be tied in different colours and sizes,it's a real allaround fly.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Sean,
I think the Parachute flies and the EHC are two great flies that almost everyone who fishes dries should carry a selection of in size and color variations. They are a must have.
And the Para-Adams....this fly deserves a box unto itself. When all else fails, tie on an Adams.

Something else to think about are the dry flies you fish on your homewaters. Get the materials you need for those flies because you'll need to reload your boxes at some point. I guess I'm saying to tie the flies you will be using.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

JP, Is that a Blue Winged Olive?? It looks like one to me.

Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe start with a Griffith's Gnat:

Griffth's Gnat
Body: peacock herl body,
Hackle: grizzly hackle palmered up the body like a
woolly bugger
Wing: None

Then try an Elk Hair Caddis
Body: brown, tan, or olive dubbing
Ribbing: fine gold wire
Hackle: brown palmered up body
Wing: Elk hair

Parachute Adams you could use poly for the wing post, or if you want to tie an Adams with a mixed brown and grizzly hackle collar you could substitute a divided poly wing for the grizzly wing tips.

March Brown
uses divided wood duck flank wings (mallard flank dyed "wood duck" color is a much less expensive choice) and brown and grizzly hackle collar

Ausable Wulff uses moose hock or moose body hair for tail and divided hair wing of white calf tail (you could also substitute divided poly wings)

Trude: peacock herl body, white calftail down wing, brown hackle collar, tail is golden pheasant but you can substitute moose body hair

You can find step by step tying instructions on the web for all of these patterns (soon we'll be adding them here too).