The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM

flysean will become famous soon enough
Default hen cape

here we go again. i need to buy a hen cape i am told. but there are so many out there and in so many colors what would you suggest on me buying. After i buy this cape what kind of flies come from there i see so many uses for it but its hard to remember when i see all the videos.i usually do most of my fishing in and around the smokey mountains. than you again guys
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hen cape

Hen capes are used for wet flies,streamers and sometimes poppers....as for the colors...depends what you intend to tie
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Also depends on the cape size. I'm guessing that you tie primarily in sizes from 10 down. If you intend on tying small wet flies, soft hackles & nymphs with it, then you'll want a cape with primarily smaller feathers.

A small speckled brown hen cape would be very useful for such flies, or the same cape that may be dyed a color such as olive would be very useful.

My preference for hen capes have always been for those with mottled coloration, and primarily shades of olive or browns. I feel these are two of the most useful as far as color. As jpbfly said, what colors you ultimately choose will really depend on what you intend to tie.

A big grizzly cape would be less useful for the flies you would likely be tying most, but would have use for tails on poppers or for hackle on larger streamers or bass flies, or Matuka type streamers.

If your intention is to tie soft hackles, don't over look the many game birds that are available, as an alternative to hen chickens. Partridge, Chukar, Quail are all very useful & tend to have more of the smaller size feathers.

Although if price is a major consideration, you may have to settle for hen chicken capes.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 PM

i was told that i could use a hen cape for dry flies also. and for wings for like adams. is this bad info. trying to tie flies with no one to show me is frustrating i read and watch videos and it just doesn't equal a experienced tyer . i tied nymphs and now i wanted to tie dry flies and a hen cape i thought would be a great help guess not
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It can be very confusing. This link might be of some help.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Try not to be discouraged. I also learned on my own, and have been at this for about 45 years. I'm still learning too!

Hen grizzly hackle is used for wings on dry flies such as Adams, but again, you'll need to obtain a cape that has suitable sizes for the size dry flies you intend to tie.

Your best bet is to go into a well stocked fly shop & talk with someone who can direct you to what you'll need. If that's not an option for you, the next best thing would be order online from a shop, but again make a call & talk with someone about your needs. Be sure to discuss your intended sizes, and patterns as that will determine how useful a specific cape will be. Keep in mind that any cape you get will have a limited number of hackles for a given size hook.

You will also need dry fly type hackle, which is from a genetically raised rooster. There are different options for this type of hackle, and it will primarily depend on your budget.

If you don't already have a shop in mind, try Blue Ribbon Flies Blue Ribbon Flies

Or JStockard JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

or, South Holston River Fly Shop South Holston River Fly Shop

These are all folks who I've done business with in the past and always treated me well. I'm sure others may add some different shops that can also provide you with what you'll need for
dry flies.

That link that williamhj added should help you, but check this one out also. A Thread for the Dry Fly Purist;

Good luck with it!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

There's a FAQ on Hen and Game bird feathers too, and you can find it here:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...rd-hackle.html

If you're looking to tie some wet flies and nymphs, you might want to get something like an Indian Hen Neck ( Neck = Cape) in mottled brown for legs tails and the hackle collars on wet flies. The Indian hen capes and saddles are much less expensive than genetic hens bred specifically for fly tying which can run $20 or so for a genetic hen cape from Whiting. ( genetic hen capes are great to work with, but if you're just starting out you'll get more bang for the buck out of a Indian cape or saddle for nymophs and such. The barbs on an Indian hen cape will be shorter than a less expensive but more widely available Indian Saddle, making the Indian Cape better for wrapping collars on wet flies but if you get a saddle you can always use this method to get a decent collar, even if the barbs are too long to wrap the feather around the shank: Hackling wets: cheating with large feathers

If you're looking to tie dries, I'd suggest you forget hen capes for now-- they're expensive, a bit tricky to tie with, and are pretty fragile compared to dries made with other types of winging material. Instead I think you'll be better off with:

Mallard Flank Feathers dyed "Lemon Wood Duck" (about $2 for a pack or $3.00 for a big pack). Real Wood Duck feathers are very expensive, but mallard dyed to wood duck color is inexpensive. These are used to tie divided wings on a number of classic dry flies like the March Brown (a big deal in the Smokies), Quill Gordon, Hendrickson, Light Cahill and many others. If you can tie one of these then you can tie all the others since they just differ in color of hackle and dubbing, the tying is the same. You can also use fibers from the feathers for tails and legs on nymphs.

Poly Yarn (about $1 a pack) get white and gray (gray may also be listed as "medium dun") Poly can be used for wings on dry flies-- much easier than flank feathers or hair if you have trouble dividing them. And you can substitute it on recipes for patterns that are tied with hen hackle tips like Blue Wing Olives and use a single or divided gray poly wing instead of gray hen hackles. Poly can also be used as the wingpost on Parachute Style dry flies. Instead of tying a traditional Adams with wings made from grizzly hen feathers, tie a Parachute Adams using a white Poly Yarn wing post. It's generally considered to be a more effective pattern tied Parachute style anyway.

White Calf Tail (also called "Kip Tail") about $4. This is used for the divided hair wings of dry flies like Wulff style dry flies (Royal Wulff, Ausable Wulff) and other flies like Trudes.

Elk Hair - a patch of elk hair runs about $3 (bull elk works well if you have a choice). This is the stuff you'll use to tie the Elk Hair Caddis.

All of these will come in handy for the wings of dry flies for many patterns that work well in the Smokies.

You may also want to check out these recent additions to the pattern library with step by steps. They don't use dry fly hackle so are very inexpensive to tie:

X Caddis SBS

Sparkle Dun SBS

I hope this helps a bit-- for questions about tying materials, it'll probably be better if you posted in the general fly tying forum-- you've gotten great answers here, but i bet there are many others starting out tying from all over the country that are in the same boat and would also benefit from your questions and the responses.

Good luck!

Last edited by peregrines; 12-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 AM

i just want to thank you for taking time and experience to help me out very much appreciated
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sean,

In your original post you said that you get confused and can't remember what was in the video that got you thinking hen cape in the first place. I realize that much of my advice may sound too old school to our younger members but I'll give a little here anyway. Although a video whether you view it on line or you own the DVD is a good way to observe tying techniques in action a good book detailing fly patterns should be on your Christmas short list. A book is a wonderful reference tool and they are how I learned what feather goes where and so forth.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I think if you need to buy one but don't know what to do with it you don't need it. I suggest you decide what patterns you want to fish with and buy materials accordingly. Start with basic patterns, like Pheasant Tail, Prince Nymph, Hares Ear, or any other basic pattern you like look up the pattern recipe to get needed materials and go buy what you need. Also the best advice I ever got was not to tye one of this and one of that but tye 10 of each pattern you start. That way you will master that pattern and learn valuable techniques before moving on. I found that the first 3 of a pattern were bad, mis-sized and the proportions were off, usually the last seven were better and fishable with the last 2 being good enough to show somebody. You tube is your friend, there are videos of just about every fly being tyed with instructions.
Good Luck