The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM

flysean will become famous soon enough
Default dry flies

I am tying elk hair caddis and stimulator and a parachute adam I am tying them in the size of 12 and some in 14 . i also tie some nymphs that size.My question is if i am fishing in and around the smokey mountains are these flies to big.I am learning and it is easier to tie this size and not real small yet. When i read other info i read alot about smaller sizes so i am wondering if i am wasting my time on these sizes .Another quesstion is there a secret to tying the post on the parachute cause it seems like my thread slips off when i go around the post.i hold it with one hand and wrap it around with the other and repeat it with the my other hand to do the other side.I know practice helps god knows i am practicing . but wow are they ugly.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: dry flies

I typically tie the post in first, chinch it down good and then advance the thread in front to help prop it up, then start a series of figure eight wraps around it till it stays upright on its own. Its a pain to do because you obviously don't want to add a whole lot of bulk. When I want to put down a thread base on the post itself I take two loose wraps and then tighten up pulling to one side of the hook, take two more and pull tight to the opposite side. Then a tiny drop of ZapaGap. It helps to use threads smaller than 8/0, 14/0 Bennichi works good but it takes some getting used to.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have fished in and around the Smokies all my life and i find that size 12 and 14 catch plenty of fish . Those will do just fine
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I typically tie the post in first, chinch it down good and then advance the thread in front to help prop it up, then start a series of figure eight wraps around it till it stays upright on its own. Its a pain to do because you obviously don't want to add a whole lot of bulk. When I want to put down a thread base on the post itself I take two loose wraps and then tighten up pulling to one side of the hook, take two more and pull tight to the opposite side. Then a tiny drop of ZapaGap. It helps to use threads smaller than 8/0, 14/0 Bennichi works good but it takes some getting used to.
+1

I too tie in the post first. One thing I found that helped me was to put some head cement on the thread before you start working your way up the post. Helps give it a little grip and gives a bit of tackiness as you work your way upward. Start a little bit loose on the wraps, then tighten it up . I haven't tried Bennichi, but have heard great things. Gordon's Griffith is what I typically use for 16 - 26. After that I'm buying em, 26 is small!