The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 05:41 PM

rdflynn is on a distinguished road
Default Just starting to learn fly fishing

Just starting to learn fly fishing. I have been fishing all my life but never learned to fly fish. So any help will be very welcome. thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Just starting to learn fly fishing

Hi rdflynn,

Welcome to the forum. Best way to get information is just ask questions.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:28 AM

Thanks Frank, I watched the links on youtube yesterday for a couple of hrs.
I learned alot now I just got to get out and get some flies and line and leaders etc etc. lol.lol. I do have an old rod and two auto reels and two cranking reels. I have to learn what line to use and how to set the rig up.
line, leader,and tippet I think. Like I said I`m just starting. I need to learn before first weekend in oct. family going to Steamboat Springs Col. to see some friends. and THANKS again for any and all help. Roger.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Roger,

Usually the line size is printed on the rod. Look just in front of the grip and it should say the length of the rod and the line weight. If it is really old the information may have been rubbed off. If you tell us what is printed on the rod we can tell you what line to buy. You will want a weight forward floating line for most of your fishing. If you are going to be a pro by October you will need some practice. A couple of lessons would be a big help. What part of the country are you located at?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the Group!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 AM

Frank thanks
I`m in GA. and I will look at the rod I have when I get home, but I`m looking at buying a new one this one has the first eye missing going up the rod. and thanks everyone for the nice welcome.