The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM

theelvis510 is on a distinguished road
Default San Sebastian Inlet 3/11/12

I was hoping someone has fished the inlet and river around the state park. I'm headed down for my brother's spring break and will be in the primative camping. I've surfed there alot, just never bothered to throw a line there. Also wondering if anyone has had experince with the liquid logic sot/sup in those waters. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: San Sebastian Inlet 3/11/12

Are you asking about Sebastian Inlet, Florida and the state park there? Fishing is great off the jetties but you must pick time and tide and always watch your back cast area to avoid those walking in back of you. The river is good also especially south of the inlet area for wading. North gets a bit dicey but a board or boat can get you into good fishing.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

The Jetties are 100% spin and baitcast and the standard rig is a 1 oz egg sinker and a swivel and baited hook- shrimp or fingerling mullet. BUT this is a fly fishing forum... I'd go to Mosquito Lagoon or the Banana River. You can wade- just shuffle your feet forward so you don't step on a sting ray. There are a few folks wading around Sebastian on the inlet side but Mosquito Lagoon is the better area IMHO.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 AM

theelvis510 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. Trip was postponed but the local was choosen mostly for the surfing. I'll post some pics when we do get down there in a couple of months.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
The Jetties are 100% spin and baitcast and the standard rig is a 1 oz egg sinker and a swivel and baited hook- shrimp or fingerling mullet. BUT this is a fly fishing forum... I'd go to Mosquito Lagoon or the Banana River. You can wade- just shuffle your feet forward so you don't step on a sting ray. There are a few folks wading around Sebastian on the inlet side but Mosquito Lagoon is the better area IMHO.
Interesting that you should be so firm in the 100%. Has something changed such as an offical rule that says no fly fishing? I ask because I've fly fished there off and on since 1985 or perhaps even before. I pick my time, tide and place and watch the back cast, etc and have had great luck on Snook, Blues and Jacks there. Another place that's great at times for Flounder is back on the SE side of the bridge just down from the Museum about where the old sea wall was sliding into the drink, or about half way down towards the cleaning tables. There's a shelf out there, you can wade out quite a ways and bounce Clousers for the big Flounder that often frequent that area. On the south ocean side of the highway and down on the beach I've caught Pompano, Snook and more flinging flies from the beach.

Over on the north side I fish the west side of the highway and there's some wading back there and again Snook, and Reds hang out there along the mangroves at times.

Good luck to all you folks fishing Sebastian and unless something radical has changed it's got some good fly fishing right at the Inlet and along the inshore flats about a mile south of there. (can you say sea trout)

I do agree that the Lagoon is better for wading but I certainly would fish the Inlet area if I were visiting or camping there and I have on many occasions!

By the way the mullet run hits the Inlet in the spring and fall and I find the jetties best in the early AM when there are much fewer folks fishing them. Catch the end of an outgoing tide and you'll find a plethora of species that eat big streamers! We are talking ten weight and up gear here as a 20 lb and bigger fish is possible and the current can be very strong.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/