The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM

thetrouttickler is on a distinguished road
Default North Carolina Brookies

Hi all

I'm thinking of doing a road trip in June which will take me through western North Carolina (from Charleston to Asheville, to Memphis, then New Orleans). It's always been a dream of mine to catch a brook trout - what beautiful fish they are and we don't get them much over here in Europe.

My preferred kind of fly fishing is small streams and wild fish. Mountains, clean water and fresh air go with the territory.

I will have one day for fishing, so time is of the essence and with a bit of advance planning would hope to find my way to a good little stream with the potential to offer up a brook trout or two. Any other trout species would be welcome too! Bearing in mind the general direction I will be travelling, can anyone recommend a likely river/place to stay? The absence of hordes of people would be a bonus.

Thanks very much.
Justin
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina Brookies

Welcome to the forum Justin, bringing this back to the top to help insure the right folks see it. I hope you will be sharing pics of the fish caught while here in the states.

Dave
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Hi Dave, and thanks.

Our planning is still at a really early stage but it appears that we may even have 2 days to fish, hike and explore the mountains. From searching the net it seems there are countless miles of fishing available, so much so that I don't even know where to start looking! It would be great to obtain some local info to narrow down the search. At this stage I'm open to all suggestions. The GSMNP appears to lie directly in our path.

The photos of the little streams in the various threads on this section are truly beautiful. You guys are blessed and I look forward to visiting later this year and hopefully adding some decent photos of my own to this section.

I also have a couple of more general questions which someone will hopefully be able to help me with:

- what's the ideal rod length and weight for the region? Will a 7'6 3wt do?
- Is the water warm enough to wade without waders (bit of a pain bringing these over)?
- how often do you come across rattle snakes?...
- is there a good fly fishing tackle store in the area to buy a few local fly patterns or should I stock up before I arrive?

Thanks
Justin
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM

8 Fly Patterns For Southern Appalachian Brook Trout | Gink and Gasoline, The Blog home of Kent Klewein and Louis Cahill-Fly Fishing photography, video, tips and news.

4th comment down. If this is an issue then please feel free to P.M. me instead of posting publicly.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Looks like you coming right through my home waters i work in Asheville and live 35miles west next to the GSMNP. lots of small streams have Brook Trout (or Speckle as all the locals call them). I would suggest using the rod you are comfortable with on the small straems i usually use an 8ft 4wt in small streams and my 9ft 4wt in the larger streams.If you have any further questions you can pm me.