The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Smokey MT Trout help.

I am in central FL. I've been to the Smokies a lot but never to fish. I want to do a trip where I fish a different stream each day. I plan to camp and not move camp any more than necessary so I can spend more time fishing. The trip will be about a week but I can add a day if needed.
I've thought up various plans.
1. Middle Prong- Little River, TN, camp near there the day I arrive and stay there the next day when I fish.
2. Then break camp and move over to Smokemont to camp and fish Lufte and/or Raven's Fork, maybe Forney Creek.
3. Stay at Smokemount and drive pre-dawn to Nantahla and fish til the tubes show up and break for lunch and go to snowbird til dark and then drive back to camp at smokemount.
4. Drive to Davidson and either camp there or stay at smokemount. I'm not sure how long the drive would take?
5. I'm interested in Wilson's Creek but I think the drive is too far.
6. Are there any areas in the Cherokee Reservation worth fishing?
Is this schedule realistic or flawed? Are there better streams. I like to cast. Some tiny brook trout streams that you have to dap- I'd rather be in an area that has more room.
I can hike in from a 1/2 to a full mile if it results in less crowds.
Any suggestions appreciated. I was thinking mid May to the end of May unless another time is better.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Smokey MT Trout help.

JMO but i would drop the Davidson and wilson cr. Forney would be a long day hike or go over by boat so i would think about cutting it out and maybe the little pigoen to and just staying at Smokemont and move around from there the Cherokee reservation has some great fly water and then its easy to fish Deep Cr. and Noland Cr. in the park also Ravens fork is good ...
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks for your help. Why drop the Davidson- it is supposed to be a top location? Too crowded? Fish too difficult? The Wilson, I figure it is too far a drive. Thanks on the Forney, you read it is a 3 mile hike- well if the trail is even that isn't a big deal but if it is rocky and twisted- could take a long time. On Raven's I tyhought it was way down in a canyon and tough to access. What about the Lufte? Any good or too filled with swimmers, etc. On the Cherokee lands- I have considered them- what are some of the better streams? Thanks again for any help.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Ravens fork is a hard hike but straightfork is a nice easy location. The Davidson is crowed and the fish are pressured lots of match the hatch and small stuff i have fished it and done ok just don't like the crowds. Luftee runs through the reservation and is good fishing.The Natahala is an easy drive from Smokemont to but has some huge fish. Forney i really like to fish but i usually ride horses in about 5mi.lots of people fish but is still good also like Noland and Deep Cr.You will find that from Smokemont you can fish all the good water you can handle also the fishing is good at Smokemont..
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks again. The only other spots I've thought about are snowbird and the tailwater of Fontana. On snowbird I am sort of confused as to whether it is outstanding or only the brook trout far upstream are outstanding- and if so- how far a hike to a good area and how bad are the crowds.
When I ask about the best time- I keep getting "any time" but I'm wondering if one time is better than another. I would assume in Summer (June- July-Aug) it slows. I'm thinking April or May. I am pretty flexible as far as when I can come up.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 PM

sorry it took me so long to answer april-and may you will see more fishermen june- august it slows but the fishing is still good as for snowbird i have never fished it but i know i lot that do..Fontana has no tailwater to speak of it is another lake in a series of lakes that have trout in them..