The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Florida Blue Tilapia

I live on a small lake in central Florida. It is filled with talapia but once again- you won't know it. Around Christmas time the talapia school- very tightly and they'll cut up the surface. This "cut up" is a small area or a few feet and you might think it was a gator that slapped its tail on the surface. In a very shallow area when the talapia are spawning you can toss a leadhead jig- undressed (spin/bait cast tackle) and gill snag/hook a talapia on about every cast. Not really very sporting. In mid summer I've seen guys throwing cast nets and getting a lot of talapia but how they know where to throw- I don't know unless they have a fish finder on their boats. As I said the talapia out of my lake taste "muddy" - there are a lot of fish (pike, etc) that are great if caught in cold water but that that good if caught in warm water. Still- a fly that would take these fish would be great sport. They fight hard if properly hooked in the mouth.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Click the image to open in full size.

The All Tackle now stands at 10 lbs plus but this one was the IGFA record and was caught on 6 lb test tippet, with that fly rod as seen, but at that time there was and still is no Fly Rod category for Blue Tilapia with the IGFA which is odd as it's the best way to catch them. That one was caught on my BS Fly a dark olive maribou, copper bead head streamer. 4 lbs 7 ounces. I had caught several bigger but that day someone said let's measure, weigh and submit it so I did.

Oh BTW, take your fillets and place them in a shallow pie pan, cover with milk, let stand for a few hours and voila--no muddy taste. Works on lots of species. Something with the enzymes in the milk.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I'll try the milk thing. I caught a 29" chain pickerel that was also muddy - when I lived up north they were generally very good except the little bones.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Get these every week in florida great flys to use are beadhead hairs-ear nymphs, and rainbow warrior flys. got 7 wednesday very easy to get great fight.