The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trying to sneak a few casts in Orlando

Hey Guys,

I'll be in Orlando for a conference Apr.3-5th. I won't have a full day to take a trip but I can probably sneak in a few hours. Freshwater, saltwater anyone who happens to be fishing near The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort on those days drop me a line.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trying to sneak a few casts in Orlando

It's an hour to two hours to hit the west coast, I'd go for it!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
It's an hour to two hours to hit the west coast, I'd go for it!
Lol, don't have that kind of time. This trip is all business. I see a few lakes in the area, may have to settle for a few Bass. I'll pack a 7wt just in case.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

There's definitely some loaded lakes in the area. I know there's a guide on here who is out of Orlando for saltwater, but maybe he can give you the low-down on good bass lakes? I'll put the feelers out, see if I can scare up some information for you!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm visiting my folks out there in the spring and am bringing some streamers and poppers. They have some ponds around them and I'll see what I can stir up. I figure if I don't have much time I'd rather not burn it driving around.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Fish the Shingle Creek Golf Course ponds at dusk. Plenty of tilapia and grass carp. Just watch for gators.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Fish the Shingle Creek Golf Course ponds at dusk. Plenty of tilapia and grass carp. Just watch for gators.
Gators huh? That's just great.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

You have a couple of options: on salt- drive State Road 50 straight over to the beach in Titusville. There is a causeway over to the beach and you can get into Mosquito Lagoon. You can fly fish and wade. I believe you have to stop at the entrance to pick up a permit but it isn't a big deal.
Just before going over the causeway there is a bait shop that can give you better details. If you park near the beach- that side of the lagoon has pretty much a sandy bottom whereas the other side is muck/muddy bottom in many areas. You can also just wade around the causeway.
For fresh water- take I-4 North past Altamonte Springs to SR 434 and take it west to Wekiva Springs Blvd and then follow it about 3-4 miles to Hunt Club Road- turn right and go about 1/4 mile and there is a canoe/kayak rental. Rent a kayak ($30 all day- noon to 5 pm $20). Paddle downstream (real slow current) about 5- 10 minutes and there are lilly pads and sloughs everywhere- bass bugger's heaven.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
You have a couple of options: on salt- drive State Road 50 straight over to the beach in Titusville. There is a causeway over to the beach and you can get into Mosquito Lagoon. You can fly fish and wade. I believe you have to stop at the entrance to pick up a permit but it isn't a big deal.
Just before going over the causeway there is a bait shop that can give you better details. If you park near the beach- that side of the lagoon has pretty much a sandy bottom whereas the other side is muck/muddy bottom in many areas. You can also just wade around the causeway.
For fresh water- take I-4 North past Altamonte Springs to SR 434 and take it west to Wekiva Springs Blvd and then follow it about 3-4 miles to Hunt Club Road- turn right and go about 1/4 mile and there is a canoe/kayak rental. Rent a kayak ($30 all day- noon to 5 pm $20). Paddle downstream (real slow current) about 5- 10 minutes and there are lilly pads and sloughs everywhere- bass bugger's heaven.
Thank you Red Owl! I think plan B will work for me A kayak and lily pads makes me a very happy man.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Then opt for the kayak. There is Wekiva State Park and they rent small 8' sit in type kayaks, not too stable, AND you'll have to paddle downstream about a mile to the junction of Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River. By far the better option is to go to the private marina that is BEFORE you get to Wekiva Springs Park. This private marina is at Hunt Club Road- there is a Wendys on the left and a traffic light- there's some houses but the river is wild and very scenic- I've seen wild turkeys in the Wendy's parking lot!. In any event the kayaks at the marina (Wekiva Island 407-862-1500) are 10' long and the sit on top type with foot braces, a good back rest, etc- these are $900 plus types and very good and fairly fast and stable. They have ties downs fore and aft. The cost at both places is the same since you would have to pay an entrance fee to get into the State Park. There are two streams- Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River. The run is small and shallow- you are far better off going down stream from the Marina. I am saying downstream just to get away from the marina/boat launch but folks catch bass right at the marina. Have fun.