The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 AM

mvarley84 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing from the surf in Myrtle Beach.

Hey guys, since funds are tight, I don't have the luxury of going on fishing vacations...So I just go fishing while on vacation with the family. We are heading to Myrtle in May, and I plan on casting in the surf as well as hitting the shallow water in Murrel's Inlet for some reds.

Any tips on gear? I am a freshwater guy, never fished the salt before. I have a 9 foot 9wt that I am planning on bringing with me, but I have no clue as to what patterns work the best. I am not looking to catch any monsters, just something to nibble on the end of my line!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing from the surf in Myrtle Beach.

You probably already know this, but the cardinal rule with saltwater is to thoroughly wash off your rod and reel, one end to the other, immediately after fishing each time. Even if it never gets wet, salt will find your gear and eat it if you don't wash it away. I only fish the salt on family vacations as well, using a 9' 8wt, which has proven enough for stripers and blues.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've spend some time fishing around Pawley's Island, just south of Murrells Inlet.

Haven't spent enough time there to have done to well with flies yet, so when I get down there I take other tackle too. Take some basic stuff, Deceivers, bucktails, Seaducers, Clousers, Half & Half's, plus perhaps some topwaters like poppers & gurglers. These will all work on various species. Take some small crab & shrimp patterns too, primarily for the Redfish if you can find them in shallow water. Various colors, olive, tans, browns, pearl/white, pink. Sizes ranging from 2 to 2/0 & about 3 to 6 inches long on the various streamers, and size 4 to 1 on the crab & shrimp patterns. You don't need to have exact imitations. It can be much like fishing for bass, most salt species will eat whatever you can get in front of them without spooking them, except salt species move around a lot more.

You'll have to fish the tides too. Unlike bass fishing, unless you're accustomed to fishing in tidal waters, tides will influence when & where the fish will be. Sometimes a specific phase of the tide, either out going or incoming will be best. It usually depends on where you are.

While you're there, you may want to check out Huntington State Park, which is between Murrells & Pawley's. I have not been in there, but from what I've read there are creeks & back waters you might find are conducive to fly fishing.

Hope this helps!
grassonfly likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM

mvarley84 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys!! I was aware that everything needs a good fresh water rinse to get the salt out.

I guess I shall get tying!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I figured, but it would be a shame not to make sure. I rinsed mine this past summer but slightly inadequately, and I'll be rebuilding the rod this spring with new guides.