The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM

flysean will become famous soon enough
Default headed to the smokies

i am headed to the smokies next week and i can' wait. i contacted the Waynesville Fly Shop and planned a guided trip and i can't wait. well before i am going on the trip is there anything i need to no ? I have several days there before i go on this so of course i am hitting the creeks around there. so what is the bast flies of choice at this time? inch worm? prince nymphs? ants?how bout the dry flies i got no idea bout them at all i need any help you can give . and what streams are doing good ? thanks for the advise you guys are going to give me i always get good stuff when i ask.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM

andydietz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: headed to the smokies

You should ask this in the regional section for the area you are going.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

You should be able to fish Yellow Sallies, some Sulphers, orange and yellow stimulators,Prince nymphs,Abd if you contacted Gary at Waynesville Fly he will help you out i don't know who he has guiding for him.Where are you wanting to fish around Waynesville or are you just letting him pick.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 PM

i told him to pick what ever was doing good at the time we go maybe that way its a no lose situation.iasked him to help mewith the dry fly part of it so i cna learn from someone who knows .i am ready to learn thats for sure
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you have tons of question.....! Gary will probably be of some help. Are you wanting to fish "wild" water or hatchery supported water... ?? this will make a tremendous difference in you selection of gear and flies..
I fished the park yesterday which is wild water. The water level is down some but the forecast is for significant rain Monday and Tuesday...this should help levels.....as it is now with low levels mean longer leaders and smaller tippets the better. Water temperatures are in the upper 50s/lo 60s. there are multiple hatches coming off everyday. i would'nt be concerned about terrestrials now...tad too early....

If we knew more about the type fishing you want to do ....the more help we could be........... best of luck
Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

If you are back from your trip- how did it go? I was there the same week as you. A #16 elk hair caddis- blond wing and dark olive body seemed to work very well. I also got some rainbows on a #12 Gray Thunderhead- which I used primarily because I had trouble seeing a dry fly in fast water. In the pools greenie-weenies worked. I got one on a Royal Wulff #16. For a bonding experience with the past I used a #12 yellowhammer- I think a #14 or #16 would have been better based on the real yellow sallys I saw but I did hook and lose a pretty good fish from a deep pool on the #12 yellow hammer. I probably could have exclusively just used the elk hair caddis and done as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 PM

I am back from the smokies not that i wanted to but had to. well i went to the "Tuck" on my guided fly trip and i had a great time fishing and leaning on the water. we used a girdle bug and a egg sack and had a lot of luck . i caught several fish in the teen size and my son caught several too. i missed more thatn i caught. but being the first time i think i did great.My guide was Jason out of Waynesville fly shop and he was the best guide i could of ever asked for . Heaanswered every question and gave me more infomation thatn i could use. Ilearned alot from this experience that i am so grateful for. I was "scared" to fish a big river but after this i think i learned enough to fish on the rest of my life and not guess how to fish it. we didn't fish any dries but that was ok. I continued fishing the rest of the week and had some luck but not the luck i had in trips before . But catching a fish is a good time just being out on the water with nature and experiencing the serenity makes it a great trip. No pics tho i had no camera that could take good ones so i don't try. maybe thats later
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Thats great that you enjoyed yourself and had a goodtime.