The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 AM

brendans is on a distinguished road
Angry Advice on Marina Tarpon!

Hi Everyone,

I live just up the Harbor from Boca Grande pass and, as you can imagine,
the fishing is great. There are tons of Tarpon. But this time I'm starting to get frustrated. This week I've spent a few days working hard to get the lazy ones in the marina to eat anything, with no luck!

Some advice would be really helpful. I can put the fly within inches and they completely disregard it. I just can't figure out when they eat. I assume it has to do with the tides, but I've always heard high tide is the best and so far no dice. Flies I've tried include Puglisis mullet imitations, black death flies, random assorted snook flies, a chartreuse toad and some other random flies from my box as I was pulling my hair out and the fish were teasing me. Any tactical recommendations would be great. You would think after living here for so many year I would know what to do.
Please Help!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on Marina Tarpon!

how are stripping the fly? and have you tried the dock lights at night?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

First, the tarpon this year have been odd lately, very few eats, at least in my area, so don't blame yourself. Plus they are finicky to begin with so that doesn't help. BUT, and this is going to sound like I'm talking to a trout fisherman... Go smaller with your flies, And try dark. With regard to presentation, if you're getting no reaction but they aren't spooky, put it on the tarpon's nose and move it as slow as you can in a very twitchy retrieve. Then hopefully just wait for a gill flare or a head motion! While I have little experience with laid up fish myself, this comes straight from Andy Mill, who is a bit of a legend in the arena. Good luck!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

When you say marina Tarpon are you talking about the resident fish that eat the scraps from the boats that are cleaning fish? If you are do what they do in the marinas in the keys throw a big fly and let it sink like a piece of dead fish .
And you live in one of my favorite Florida spots . Used to get monster Snook at Boca Grande near the bridge. Good fishing!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser