The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Working without a Net (pics)

I got away to the lake this weekend and to my favorite tailwater.My daughter had been at the lake all week with her grandparents and just wanted to stay so i went and we hungout all weekend,but she would not go fly fish with me.That only let me have 2hrs in the morning but i'll take it.Well saturday mornig i went to the river at 5:30 got rigged up and walked down to start, going in to the river i felt my net hang then let loose. I looked and the net was past its last leg.
Click the image to open in full size.
So i was fishing without a net and that is not easy in tailwater where there is limited access to the bank.
With the fog still on the water i started to pickup some smaller fish on a Lt.Cahill with a green eggsac,this is a great fly on that tailwater.
Click the image to open in full size..
The fishing was steady and i managed to get about 10 or 12 to hand and lose afew.
With my time getting close i decided to throw a black bugger in a few spots.
It turned out to be a good decision as it produced 3 good fish.
This 12" rainbow.
This 15" rainbow.
This 13" with a funny lookin head.
It was a good morning.My daughter did want to catfish on saturday night so we did for awhile only 3 small flatheads but that was fun to spend time with her.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: Working without a Net (pics)

Could you fix that net with some duct tape? Darn nice fish!!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Some nice fish! MnFlyfish is right, duct tape looks like a safe bet to restore some years to that net. I'm going into trout withdrawal, haven't seen a freshwater trout brought to hand in a few weeks...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Shannon: Great trip report and congrats on the beautiful fish! Sorry about the net. Wonder if wood glue would do the trick to save it.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

That net appears to be very repairable. If it is a net that you have sentimental attachments to I'd get some to repair it for you. If you can't find anyone and don't mind mailing to me I'd be happy to repair and mail back you. I'm in the Waynesville N.C. area if close enough we could meet ......... Bob
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Some nice fish! MnFlyfish is right, duct tape looks like a safe bet to restore some years to that net. I'm going into trout withdrawal, haven't seen a freshwater trout brought to hand in a few weeks...

same here.. its getting hot at otter but still seeing a few schooling.. I vote for a cord wrap glued and dunked into sealer.. good as new net.
Mnflyfish likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
I vote for a cord wrap glued and dunked into sealer.. good as new net.
Great idea! never thought of that, and would look much better than duct tape.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Great idea! never thought of that, and would look much better than duct tape.
Cord handle would be nice for sure and yes, a little classier looking. You could also put a couple brass wood screws through it. Whatever method, I would definitely start with some Gorilla Glue, then screw it together nice a tight. You could add the rope after that if you wanted the look.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Very nice. Them big 'uns ain't always easy to get to hand without a net, been there, done that.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM

max11 is on a distinguished road

nice fish you should fix it with duck tape.Or get a new one