The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM

wnctroutslayer is on a distinguished road
Default Above GSMNP #47

Hi all, been a silent follower for a little while now. Spent the last year exploring my way further and further from my Hendersonville home base. See Ive been a trout fisherman, C&R, my whole life, but just picked up a fly rod in the last 18 months. I'm picking up on it slowly and exploring quite a bit of forest in the meantime. From Nantahalka Forest to Eastern edge of GSMNP and much of pisgah in between.
My brother is visiting the second week of August and I want to take him above campsite #47. Everything I read about this makes it sound pretty tough. I'm wondering if any of y'all have fished some water you could compare its ruggedness to? Do you think fishing to the headwaters and hiking back to camp is doable in one day? I'm one to keep hopping the next boulder or log jam cause I HAVE to see what water looks like on the otherwise. I've fished in Ptown to Devils Elbow and back in one day. All over Shining Rock. My point, I can bushwhack and boulder, but for this fork will I need rock climbing boots and a rope or what?
I'm looking at maybe coming in from the right fork, there's a spring that I understand can be navigated down. Maybe that's a better way to more appealing waters?
Anyways, I would welcome any advice. Up until now I've just picked a point on the map (JEB Hall's book aka my trout bible) and go. This adventure seems to demand as much or planning as possible.
Thanks

Last edited by wnctroutslayer; 07-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Above GSMNP #47

You might contact Jim Casada via his web site. Jim should be able to answer your question. I have been in alot of that area but not the exact loaction that you need info on. My guess, judging but what I know about the surrounding area, that hike would be rather tough !!

Good luck
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. 48 views and your the only one to touch this this thread so far! That means either few have fished or no one wants to talk about it. I'll give him a shout. Ps if you see any +12" speck photos oon here after mid August.....
Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Sorry just got back in to work and saw this .S o are you planning to hike to Enloe Cr. and stay a few nights or are you doing a day trip.It is a steep trail in to Raven Fork and the river has lots of big rocks and log jams in it but fishing is usually good .Enloe is about the same but some of the locals off the reservation keep it fished hard. If you have anymore questions let me know i have fished there some over the 25 years.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Planning to stay 1 night. Up early to fish late morning and out the next afternoon. We want to fish a few other locations, all new to me, while my brother visits. Thinking cataloochee headwaters and maybe luftee.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Those are good choices you should do well if no one is fishing much and it seems to me most folks are just not fishing later in the year anymore which suits me fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

Might consider Bradley Fork up about Cabin Flats.... pretty good water if there aren't too many already in there. other people might be an issues about anywhere you go. Poke Patch on the headwaters of Deep Creek would be a good 1-2 day outing.......!!!! lots of ideas Good luck
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Again, really appreciate the feedback. I got Jim Casadas book about a week ago, after reading a decent chunk of it I'm having a tough time getting my mind off what stream is next; it's interfering with my sleep