The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southeast U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/)
-   -   flyrod for smallmouth (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/290831-flyrod-smallmouth.html)

flysean 07-08-2012 07:22 PM

flyrod for smallmouth

i got a 5 wt. orvis clearwater and i am going up north to go after some smallmouth i was wondering if my rod is big enough for them or should i just go back to the old spinning rod to catch some.

streamwalker 07-08-2012 07:30 PM

It really depends on the flys you are going to trow normally with bass the bigger the lure the bigger the bass...but stick with a smaller lure and you will be fine fighting and catching most bass. However a 8 wt or something would be a great choice then you can throw big flys and catch big bass.. i just got a few a little while ago on my 5wt though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

famill00 07-08-2012 09:19 PM

Re: flyrod for smallmouth

Your 5 wt will work, so long as there isn't much wind. You can toss clouser minnows with your 5wt, just be careful! Of course, the most of this depends on your casting skill.... I will typically use a 6wt for smallies on a calm day and an 8wt on windy days.

-Forrest

bakerboy2222 07-09-2012 01:31 AM

If you half the extra cash, invest in a bass bug taper and maybe upline it a size. The bass bug taper does wonders over a standard WF, and uplining it will let you throw some bigger poppers, but you will lose some distance.

I've caught 2 pound pass on a 3wt dt small stream rod on some size 6 poppers, but i couldn't cast more than 30 feet. It'll work out, just adapt and overcome.

flysean 07-09-2012 10:21 AM

i think mostly i will be throwing size 4 clousers and size 6 wooly buggers and hemmegranites . otherthen that i don't thik much more will i throw . when i was younger i used to just use a size 6 hook and a worm and kill these smallies up in thbrandwine up north. never in my life have i ever seen a stream so full of smallmouth . up astream about 50 miles its stocked with trout and once in a while u can catch one of them. but i can't wait !!!!!! and thanks for the advice you guys always give me good help

max11 07-28-2012 05:03 PM

I would think a spinner but if you want a good fight go with the fly rod:D

williamhj 07-28-2012 11:04 PM

I saw fish with what you have. I usually use a 6wt which isn't really that different. You can throw those flies with a 5wt, might not be pretty but you can do it. Unless you have the cash to buy a 7wt or 8wt don't worry about it. Besides, bass aren't as picky as trout so if the fly hits a bit harder, don't worry about it. Bass on a fly rod are a lot of fun.

bakerboy2222 07-29-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 474014)
I saw fish with what you have. I usually use a 6wt which isn't really that different. You can throw those flies with a 5wt, might not be pretty but you can do it. Unless you have the cash to buy a 7wt or 8wt don't worry about it. Besides, bass aren't as picky as trout so if the fly hits a bit harder, don't worry about it. Bass on a fly rod are a lot of fun.

dont worry about it?
The bigger the plop the bigger the fish!

gatortransplant 07-29-2012 01:13 AM

Sean, I've been targeting smallmouth lately on my 12' 5wt and it is a lot of fun. I've caught several in the 20" range and while the fight is fun, I haven't had any trouble landing them in relatively short order. Certainly a heavier rod may help chuck the flies better, but as far as handling fish you should be just fine.

ted4887 07-29-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by famill00 (Post 469987)
I will typically use a 6wt for smallies on a calm day and an 8wt on windy days.

-Forrest

I use the exact same setups exactly as mentioned.

6 wt TFO BVK on normal days and an 8 wt TFO BVK on windy days. Both are lined with SA's Magnum Textured line and are just great smallies rods overall.

You'll be fine with the 5 wt though. I use my 5 wt every once in a while as well. I generally find myself throwing larger flies though, so it makes it a bit easier to get distance with the heavier rod.