The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM

seanfly is on a distinguished road
Default trash at the creek

The other day my girl and i went to Wilson Creek near Morganton N.C. the area itself was a very beautiful place but when i got down near the creek to my disgust it was a very trash filled littered pathetic place that it hurt my heart to know that people would destroy such a beautiful stream and canyon. The 2.2 miles of gorge looked very nice from the dirt road but never in my life have i seen a creek so trashed up in my life and it is considered part of the Pisgah National Forest too where is the park rangers?. i took one small bag of trash out with me but i left that day to go homeso i could do no more . i hate to think fisherman did this to this stream but if they did they need to stay home and trash up their home not natures home.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: trash at the creek

Hi Sean,

This is a recurring theme that will never end. Such behavior is not the result of true outdoors men & women but the litter can be found anywhere you go. All that you can do is to conduct yourself in an honorable fashion and when possible try to make a difference.

Your are not alone,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That's the reason I bring a roll of large trashbags in my pack when I head out. Good on you for packing what you could out with you, but I have heard talk of fishermen giving up steelhead fishing altogether because of the amount of trash they encounter.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I pack a couple of plastic grocery bags in my vest for streamside trash. People don't always bring their moms to clean up after them..
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 AM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about

I too bring garbage bags with me anywhere I go fishing. One bag for me and a couple extra's for all those slobs that tend to enjoy nature but not help to keep it clean. It really bothers me to hike down to some of my favorite stretches of water only to encounter empty coffee cups, bug repellant canisters, and beer cans / bottles lying around everywhere. The worst part is, it becomes almost routine to sacrifice some of my fishing time to clean up garbage left behind by someone else. It would be nice to one day go down for a fishing session without having to perform what feels like community service.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

Guess I got lucky. Went fishing Saturday morning and there was nothing to pick up! I had taken out perhaps 3-4 pounds the time I fished this stretch before. Either no one fished it between trips or they just happened to be good people.

Hopefully it gets better. My daughter will be 3 in a few weeks. Saturday evening we went downtown to eat. As we walked down the sidewalk she kept running up to her mother or aunt asking for a "Tas can". She was picking up garbage!! Of course a block later a McDonalds cup came out the window of a passing car. Lets see, a 3 yr old is capable of picking up trash but....
trout_onfly_junkie likes this.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:35 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Trash is such a problem it's just people who are to lazy to pickup after them selves can you imagine how the live if they do that at home.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

recriger will become famous soon enough

I can imagine their lives. My wife used to really enjoy the TV show "Hoarders". Don't remember what channel it was on but some of those folks were... well lets just say it was surprising sometimes that they weren't diseased with some of what they were living in.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

That **** is everywhere unfortunately....
Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I can't help but wonder that with all the rain storms we've had lately you're seeing much of the results of it.
Every piece of trash that may have layed buried in the weeds and rocks upstream of the gorge were more than likely washed downstream during the deluges. That area is usually quite clean with only the normal low-lifes **** laying around.
You want to see pitiful amounts of junk put near the river purposely, float the Watauga in the spring. It looks like the locals are still of the mindset that if they push those tires, refridgerators and broken toilets hard enough down the bank that they can't see them, they stopped existing.