The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 PM

wnctroutslayer is on a distinguished road
Default Pisgah day trip

Well my brother and I took to Pisgah for his final day here in NC. I decided to gamble on nothing more than a hunch and head to a new blue line. We hiked 20 minutes and realized I had taken a wrong turn, retraced steps and got back on track. After about 1.5 miles we were at the spot I was wanted to jump into the stream.
Click the image to open in full size.
After rising a few and catching that bow things were quiet for a while. I was getting a little discouraged. Especially since this line was my call. After about 30 minutes of very fishy looking drifts of disappointment things started picking up.
The fish started to show up pretty much everywhere we expected them. At times more than one speck per hole even.
What I couldn't believe was the browns we were picking up despite being around 4000' and getting bows and specks. Crazy.
After a while though stream gave way to specks only. In all we picked up 30-40 fish in 4 hours.
Best day I can remember fishing in Pisgah in quite a while. Awesome stream and a few miles of it left to explore.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Pisgah day trip

What were you picking them up on? It looks like a 16 parachute Adams? I'm going to hike into a new spot in Pisgah this weekend and would love a heads-up!

Edit: Great report, btw. Thanks a bunch for sharing!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM

wnctroutslayer is on a distinguished road

Picked up a few on brown #12 elk hairs, but switched to #14 and #16 parachute Adams as I could see them better and my brother was having no problem hooking up on #12 Adams all the while. Seemed grey was the ticket over BWOs, which i tried as well, so most fish on the Adams. Presentation over pattern, these fish havent seen too many flies.

I always have luck with tan #14 X Caddis as well. I recently watched some bookies reject elk hair only to rise agai. And take the x caddis.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

The first trout I ever caught on a fly refused and then doubled back and hit it. Always trust your first impressions, folks.