The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 PM

livelli is on a distinguished road
Default Hi, I'm James

Hey folks,
I'm new here, and also new to the art of fly fishing. So new that I haven't even landed my first fish on a fly, or made my first cast, hell I don't even own a fly rod yet.

Not to bore you guys with my life story, but I'm a former Westchester, NY resident now living in Myrtle Beach, SC. I've loved fishing since I was a mini Ginni and have spent the last three years bass fishing out of a kayak. Bass fishing is great and all, but in the summer months the bite dies down pretty bad, so I turned my attention to the Redfish in the marshes of Murrell's Inlet/Garden City. I've heard a lot about catching them year round on a fly and I'm really excited to start. Unfortunately, as it will be my first fly rod/reel I'll probably just grab a $50 8ft 5/6wt kit at Walmart until I can muster the cabbage for a more respectable setup. I know that 5/6wt combo will have some serious limits, but it's just going to be my starter gear, then I'll probably sell it at yard sale or craigslist for cheap, give some kid a shot at it. The gear I've been eyeing is a 9ft 8wt TFO Project Healing Waters rod and a like weighted TFO Prism reel. I like the PHW rod due to $25 gets donated to introducing our vets to fly fishing as treatment for PTSD and other emotional injuries.

Ok, I got a bit long winded there. Us New Yorkers tend to share a bit. Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot here, making new friends, and BSing about how big a fish was.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hi, I'm James

Hi James,

You've joined a good site with this forum; ask questions get answers.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

James: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing about your Redfish fishing.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

James, Welcome! I'm also James, but call me Jim.

There's loads of great info & people here who can surely help you on your new endeavor. I fish with other tackle too, but enjoy fly fishing the most!

Good call on the TFO rod, they make a fine rod and the PHW is a good cause. An 8 wt is a good choice for that type of fishing & that area, plus can double for bass.

Hope you'll keep us informed about chasing the Redfish down there. I've fished that area too, primarily at Pawley's Island but have yet to hook up to a Redfish on a fly. I've caught them on other tackle, but not as yet on a fly.

I also hope to relocate down there someday.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been doing a lot of homework on fly fishing, as well as tying, and even reading about making my own rod. I do like what I've heard about the TFO rods though. The general consensus is that they're great quality rods at entry level price. I've seen some "entry level" rods out there for $400+, but when I looked at the TFO website their highest price rods are only in the $350 range. That to me is impressive. My view of the sport up to about a month ago was that it was mostly populated by elitists and rich folk, due to cost prohibition. TFO seems to make it more accessible to everyday people.

As for fly fishing in this area, it seems we're limited to bass, redfish, panfish, and maybe permit (if we're lucky enough). We don't have any freshwater trout, but they do stock the streams in the upstate (Greenville). My fiance's family lives there so maybe I'll luck out with a native brown or a stocked rainbow next time we visit.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome James, and good call on the rod choice (reels are just a place to store your unused fly line ). At 9' and an 8wt that should allow you to toss some pretty heavy flies and put a real 'Oumph' into the fight.

Fred
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

James....wish you'll catch your first fish on a fly soon
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello James,

Don´t start to fish with a fly, you can´t stop it again - it´s uncurable

THORSTEN
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 PM

That's what I'm afraid of, Thorsten. I remember when I thought I'd "try" fishing from a kayak. I've since only fished from shore maybe three times (aside from casting a few topwaters to bass just prior to launch). I can't wait to get started. I was in Orvis today to check things out. A bit pricey, really nice products, but pricey.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum james
you should have no problem getting any info you may need from the fine members here.
as far as a starter set up, take a look on the big auction site, there are insane deals to be found there

casey

ARFE