The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM

ageriner is on a distinguished road
Default beginner / intermediate fly rod & reel suggestions

I'm still relatively new to fly fishing - absolutely love it! Caught my first redfish on the flats this week in the lowcountry SC. I have been using a cheap entry level fly rod / reel combo from Bass Pro and am ready to get something semi-serious. Money is unfortunately a priority. I'm overwhelmed by manufacturers (Loomis, Sage, Orbis, etc...) and very ignorant but am learning quickly. I've been looking at an entry level starter kit for around $180ish from Redington (the 890-4 or 990-4?) but would like to get some recommendations on good reel / rod / and lines to use with these on a step up from this with ballpark pricing. Went to Bass Pro today and spent a good hour and a half with a great sales rep but still have a lot to learn. Will be fishing primarily for reds and some trout. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andrew
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM

crruns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: beginner / intermediate fly rod & reel suggestions

I have been fishing the TFO Nxt combo in a 9' 5/6 weight, and it's very highly regarded. The reel isn't outstanding, but for small water, is more than adequate. When I was at the fly show last year, the TFO guys claimed that the rod blank for the NXT is the same as what they use for the BVK, but with lower spec guides, seats and handle. I added in a decent line after my first outing, but I expect that I'll have this rod around for a while.

The combo comes in a 4/5 weight as well (I'm not sure what they actually mean when they split the weights like that)

Chad
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chad & Andrew,

Andrew, Chad has given a good hands on bit of advice and it's better than I could have provided because I have little experience with the current market of rods. All my stuff is old and even if I were to say 'get one of these' you would be looking for used items at auction on the Bay site. If you did decide to go with old school gear just say so, many of yesteryears rods and reels have plenty of fish to catch yet.

Welcome to you both, I hope you become frequent posters with us.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

I started out with a Cortland Fair Play combo and I still use it. However, I believe their Traveler's Outfits are superior. As far as split weight...

" The split weight (wt) designation on fly rods usually means, the "Double Taper Line/Weight Forward Line," recommendations of the manufacturer."
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

You are looking at the right stuff. The 8 and 9 weight gear is what you want for reds. The $180 dollar Redington outfit is probably the Pursuit. They have another outfit up from that, the Voyant that is right under $300. I am a big fan of Redington because I think they offer a pretty good value throughout their product lineup.

Good luck
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 AM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44runner View Post
I am a big fan of Redington because I think they offer a pretty good value throughout their product lineup.

Good luck

I second this opinion. Redington has really made their way the last few years, putting out some very good stuff for a good price.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM

crruns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack crack jones;
As far as split weight...

" The split weight (wt) designation on fly rods usually means, the "Double Taper Line/Weight Forward Line," recommendations of the manufacturer."
Thanks for the info. Now I'll have to try a 6wt WF line on my rod and see how that behaves.