The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Florida Shrimp Patterns

I am starting to tie up some flies for my upcoming outing to Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River. I have started working on some crab patterns, bendbacks, clousers, and leach patterns but need to add a shrimp pattern to the mix.

Any favorites for the area that are relatively simple ties but effective?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Florida Shrimp Patterns

I had really good success on a craft fur shrimp with beadchain eyes on a size2 hook. All tan and all brown and a mix of the two seemed to be the best color. I caught a lot of speckled trout on them last winter just south of NSB. Just look up Lefty's craft fur shrimp. I did vary from the pattern by using a dubbing loop to create a more bushy body but I doubt that it really make any difference to the fish and it did make the pattern more time consuming. Good luck and have fun. I just loved it down there.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Triple threat flats fly is the best. i caught a 25.25 inch bonefish on that. the best looking shrimp ever. no contest is P G Becket's cruse shrimp
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys!

I am thinking that reds, trout, and black drum are going to the primary targets in mid-December.