The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default 10,000 islands, which flies for everglades in december?

I might have a chance to go backcountry fishing and camping in the 10,000 islands area of the everglades around christmas. Looking for fly recommendations (sizes/patterns/colors) to tie up before the trip.

We would be mostly on a boat. The owner is a big light tackle angler, but I will be throwing flies.

I assume we will be going for Sea trout, snook, maybe black drum or redfish?

For last summer I tied gurglers, deceivers, clousers, crabs, crazy charlies, po*n punchers, etc. in a variety of sizes, colors, and weights I assume many of these will work fine.

I have a 7wt and a 11wt to bring. Obviously a 8 or 9 would be nice, but that is not an option at this time. I'm hoping we can find some bigger fish along the shoreline/shelf to use the 11wt.

Anyone with 10,000 island area care to give some advice!?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM

magnaflux is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10,000 islands, which flies for everglades in december?

I would ask this guy. I have been with him and he is great.
Kayak Fish and Explore The Everglades with Rich
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

If I were able to use only one fly for a shot at a backcountry slam in the Flamingo to Shark river area right now (not far from Choco area) it would be an all white seaducer with jungle cock eyes on a 1/0 or 2/0 , 3 to 4 " long. Reds, snook, tarpon, trout, mackerel, jacks will all eat it. Just a few strands of that flash that's in the gold and green range.

The water temp today at the reef edge in Key Largo was 78 degrees. If it doesn't drop much, you may well hook into some good size tarpon.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Nice! I fly out tomorrow early. We will be staying a few days around Islamorada, so hopefully the water will stay nice and warm. Probably have about 100 salt flies ready to try out. All I want for Christmas is my first Tarpon!

Not sure if the Everglades is going to pan out, but now people are talking about Cape Canaveral... glad I did so much tying of a wide variety of stuff.