The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southeast U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/)
-   -   Orlando pond fishing access? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/304115-orlando-pond-fishing-access.html)

brookfieldangler 12-03-2012 11:08 AM

Orlando pond fishing access?

Almost every day that I will be down there, I will at least have some time to get out and toss a few flies and would like catch a few FL pond bass. Every state seems to be a bit different in the regard to pond fishing. In and around Orlando, are most ponds fishable or are most of them private?

I found the "Big 5" ponds on the Florida FWC site but am curious about others and I am hoping that unless posted otherwise, fishing is OK.

theboz 12-04-2012 05:21 AM

Re: Orlando pond fishing access?

From what I've experienced lot of private water in that area on farms and in housing developments ! Funny thing nobody seems to make an issue about golf course pond fishing but try to fish one of the little lakes in a development and all heck breaks loose! There is public water in the area but most of the fishable spots are in town and county parks. Last time my son was down he fished the pond in the fanciest golf course in the area . Lots of tilapia , bluegills and bass. He said he really liked it because unlike the ponds I find no gators! And no problems!

brookfieldangler 12-04-2012 08:21 AM

Really?! You can just walk on to a Golf Course down there and fish?!

Do you valet and pull out the fly rod? Do I have to wear kakhi pants and collared shirts? :D

theboz 12-05-2012 12:49 AM

Every evening! Some have separate trails for nature walks and fishing . Everyone is different .

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

My son( the same one who fishes the golf ponds) won a trip to spring training and stayed in a real fancy hotel in Palm Beach . Not being old enough to drive he asked one of the ball players how he could get to one of the party boats to go fishing . They ordered him a limosine! Can you imagine the expressions on the captain and fares on that boat when he pulled up to the dock in that!

brookfieldangler 12-05-2012 08:40 AM

That's pretty awesome!

Red Owl 12-12-2012 01:38 PM

Just North (20 minutes) of Orlando is the Wekiva River and there are several canoe and kayak rental facilities on the river. It will cost you about $30 for a day's rental. There is no commercial/residential development on the Weiva River so you have 7 1/2 miles of natural Florida which is very scenic. You can use a kayak or try a canoe with a kayak paddle. There are a lot of sloughs and pockets choked with vegetation you can bass bug.