The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Red Owl
  • 1 Post By rccola712

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM

dryflypisgah is on a distinguished road
Default Davidson and blue lines in WNC.

Anyone know whats working best on these streams as far as drys go? best times to fish and leader, tippet size to use?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davidson and blue lines in WNC.

Rather than asking for information, it might be better to introduce yourself on your first post, then ask questions. I can't help with WNC but would like to say "Welcome to the Forum".

Larry

Larry
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM

I'm Sorry, that was my bad. My name is Derek and I live in Western North Carolina near the Davidson river. I am new to fly fishing, and am very excited about finding this site and have already learned a lot from reading just a few articles.

Thanks very much.

To anyone near the Davidson any info and help with patterns and spots to fish would be great as I am new to the area and the waters hear and haven't had very good luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Derek: Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, someone in your area will help out with information on the Davidson. Doing a Google search I found DRO Outfitters located at 95 Pisgah Hwy, Pisgah Forrest, NC.
Home
I noticed that they offer a newsletter, you might get on their site and sign up, also if they are close by I would recommend stopping in and letting them know you are a new fly fisherman and looking for information on the Davidson, public access points and what flies they recommend, and buy a few flies from them for their help.

I also found info by the Hunter Banks Company, 29 Montford Ave.,Asheville, NC 28801. They offer a page of basic info on the Davidson, you might look that over if you haven't already.
Fly Fishing the Davidson River - Hunter Banks Co

Here is the Orvis river report with some really basic information on the Davidson fishing:
Davidson River | North Carolina Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions

Here is another outfit that guides on the Davidson:
Asheville, NC fly fishing guides Davidson River fishing report, includes stream conditions

Here is an article by flyfishmagazine.com on the Davidson River:
Davidson River

Here is another article on the Davidson by Trout U:
Davidson River North Carolina | Trout University

Here is another outfit that guides on the Davidson. Note that they offer a hatch chart that might be of some value:
Guided Fly-fishing, fly fishing guides, fly fishing Davidson river, school of trout, fly-fishing school

Larry

Larry
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM

wow thanks, i knew of DRO and have talked to them but because they are a big guide service around here they don't tell to much but have been helpful and have a huge selection of flies.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

The Davidson gets hit harder than a lot of other streams so the trout are 'educated"- at least in the fly fishing only section. Downstream they stock the river and there is no reason you can't fish flies there- just wade up or down stream from the pull off sections along the road- you'll get into areas less fished. There are a lot of fly fishing experts up around the hatchery but with all due respect I think some of those guys just want to spend a day making perfect fly line casts. As a newbie- you might do better farther downstream.
On the flies, if you are new I would recommend dry flies because you can see the fly and know what is happening. I like the Thunderhead simply because it is local. On hook size-#12 and #14 are good. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and a #18 BWO- I can't see it half the time. Some patterns I like: tan elk hair caddis with green body, yellow stimulator, Parachute Adams, Royal Wulff, Black Ant. Use a 5x tapered leader. Have some 6x and 7 x tippet material and if you need to you can turn a 9' 5x into a 10 1/2' 6x. I also like Emerger patterns that float in the film or just under the surface. On subsurface flies you can drop down to #16.
Finally, the magic ingredient is PERSISTENCE. Be quiet, don't rip the line off the water to make a back cast. Spend some time looking over the water before fishing it.
There is an old book called TROUT by Ray Bergman. All the information about tackle is outdated but reading that book is the closest thing I know to having a guide show you things. Old Ray wrote a lot about how he approached different situations and fished particular areas. That is invaluable information that is never covered these days. The whole thing today is the notion that spending a lot of equipment will make up for angler savy.
mcnerney and diamond rush like this.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 AM

flysean will become famous soon enough

i fished the davidison only once and since i am new to this and the davidison is smart fish i didn;t have much luck but i do fish alot of streams in and around that area and fishing nymphs like the pt and the bhpn does me justice i catch a fair amount on them. the creek thats on the sliding rock and looking glassfalls are good for brookies tool. thats around the corner but i hope you have a lifetime of fun in this sport i love it andjealous of where you live
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM

lostnwilderness is on a distinguished road

PM me if you still need some info on the area. DRO is a great resource. Walker and Kevin are 2 of the best anywhere. Walking encyclopedias.....
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I'm near the Davidson as well, and fish it a good bit. I've actually had a bit better luck on the South Mills personally, but there's a ton of great fishing water I have yet to explore in the area.

PM me and maybe we can hit the river some time!
yonder likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM

I live literally 30 seconds from turkey pen and still have not fished south mills, one of the guys at DRO told me the best area is the middle section but you have to pack in and stay a day or two to fish it.