The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road
Default Islamorada in April

Hi all,
I am going to Islamorada mid-April for a little R&R. We are staying on the ocean side in a private house right on the ocean, and plan to do some fishing. I know I'll probably get skunked (as I've never fly fished the salt). We plan on getting a guide for at least a day (any recs?), but want to go at it alone too.

I've done some reading, and have some spots picked out, but I have some questions. Are the beaches considered private along the ocean side? For instance, if I walk out of the house to the beach, can I walk the beach without being on private property? On the satellite images, there are docks, which seems like it would be private property.

I will need to acquire another set up (since my 5wt. won't fit the bill), so I am thinking an 8wt. I'm not looking to break the bank, as this will only get used in the salt and possibly a few other times. Any recommendations? On the other hand, are there any places that will rent fly rods? I would rather get a new set up, but the wife thinks otherwise.

Any other things I should know? Places to eat? Things to watch out for? Things to see? Any tips to make fishing more productive?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Islamorada in April

If you get skunked in Islamorada you better give up fishing! ill be there in three weeks and ill give you more info soon.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Guides Call Bou Bosso now or he will be booked!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
If you get skunked in Islamorada you better give up fishing! ill be there in three weeks and ill give you more info soon.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Guides Call Bou Bosso now or he will be booked!
Haha, thanks! I'm setting my expectations low, so I won't be disappointed.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Can't help you with a fishing recommendation, since I wasn't a fly fisherman when we visited that area early last year. However, you will be hard pressed to beat the grouper sandwich (for size and taste) at the Island Grill (Island Grill, Best Islamorada Restaurant, Florida Keys).

If it's your first time to the Keys and you want to do something touristy, visit Robbies (Feeding Tarpons at Robbie's) to feed the tarpon. The power of their jaws will surprise you.

As for a rod, if you hurry, you can buy a 9 wt St. Croix Imperial which currently only has an $80 bid on it. St Croix Imperial Fly Rod 9' 9wt 2 Piece and Okumo Reel and Line | eBay

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Bou Bosso 305-395-9465. AWesome guide great guy!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Bou Bosso 305-395-9465. AWesome guide great guy!
Thanks for the info. I sent him an email yesterday (shortly after you first posted), and haven't heard back yet. Understandable, he's probably really busy. If I don't hear back from him this afternoon, I'll give him a call.

Thanks again.

Anyone have a recommendation for a rod/reel for this trip? I don't really want to spend more than $300-$400. Used is fine. This rod will only get limited use (this trip and future trips to FL, maybe some steel head once a year, if that). My 5wt. handles everything around me pretty well. I don't want junk, but don't want to spend $1,000+. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to check out Sandy Moret's fly shop there in Islamorada.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
Don't forget to check out Sandy Moret's fly shop there in Islamorada.
Bous in Nicaragua right now. Call him he'll get back to you. Try
Vic Gaspeny if he's booked . I have the number if you can't find.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I am going out with Todd Ziels this Saturday - I am staying in Duck Key and he guides out of Marathon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

So I went out with Todd Ziels on Saturday for a half day...had a rough go at it as the water temp was only at 64 degrees near Big Pine which is where we fished...the cold snap last week really put the fish off and he worked his tail off to make sure I caught my first tarpon on a fly (even though it was a baby tarpon). He knew where the fish were, or should have been, but luck wasn't on our side that day. I now have unfinished business with some tarpon down there and would not hesitate to recommend or use him again. Very knowledgeable and good company to boot!