The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gt05254

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM

bpeterson will become famous soon enough
Default Fly fishing Pigeon Forge?

I will be taking a trip to Pigeon Forge on May 13th I believe and will be staying for 4-5 days. I have never been to the area before so I'm not familiar with any places around. I've always wanted to fly fish for Brookies and rainbows and figured it'd be a good possibility since I'll be there anyways. Is there any places I can go once I get there to find some fishing spots and streams and all? Or any national parks to fish or anything?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly fishing Pigeon Forge?

Just head into the mountain you will have about 2000 miles of trout streams. Check with Smokey Mountain anglers in Gatlinburg they can send you in right direction with the gear you will need. Have fun the stream thru Sevierville is great smallmouth bass fishing. Lots of mountain stream above Gatlingburg . The higher you go chance of catching brook is greater.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

After ck some of your post you may want take much lighter than a 8 wt. for Mountain trout.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Just head into the mountain you will have about 2000 miles of trout streams. Check with Smokey Mountain anglers in Gatlinburg they can send you in right direction with the gear you will need. Have fun the stream thru Sevierville is great smallmouth bass fishing. Lots of mountain stream above Gatlingburg . The higher you go chance of catching brook is greater.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

After ck some of your post you may want take much lighter than a 8 wt. for Mountain trout.
Thanks for the help! I will check out smokey mountain anglers.

I have both a 6wt and an 8wt rod. Would a 6wt also be too much? And what about for smallies if I happen to do that as well?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Staying in Pigeon Forge for 5 days...you have my deepest sympathy.
Gary
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Staying in Pigeon Forge for 5 days...you have my deepest sympathy.
Gary
Crowds ,Crowds, Crowds, Crowds, and CROWDS, next 2 weekends ROD RUN , you want be able to move.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Crowds ,Crowds, Crowds, Crowds, and CROWDS, next 2 weekends ROD RUN , you want be able to move.
I won't be going until may 13th so I have a month. Where I fish in south LA, you can't even launch your boat sometimes when there is around 50 others. I guess I'll just have to wait and see though. If I don't get the chance to fish... Well I guess that gives me an excuse to go somewhere else! Haha
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

All great responses,

Smoky Mountain Angler is a good little shop. It dosent matter if your a local or not.....they will always give good info.

From PF, Then by taking the bypass when you get into Gatlinburg on the spur....your minutes from some great water.

Send me a PM when you get closer to the date.

Spent the last 6 years fishing the Smokies....Only lived 20 minutes from from great park water, in Florida now taking care of family. I really miss the GSMNP.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM

flyakin is on a distinguished road

If you want to catch brookies, you can start at elkmont campground in the national park and work your way upstream. There is a trail that follows the river at the back of the campground with plenty of parking. Start there and you should run into some brook trout soon. If your into hiking there are numerous streams that you can find plenty of native trout in. I recommend Ian Rudder's book if you want to explore all the fishing options in the national park. Brook trout are in the higher elevation streams, like 2000 ft above sea level and higher for the most part in the Smokies. You should be able to catch them on dry flies as well as nymphs in May. Little river outfitters in Townsend has a daily fishing report on their website with good advice on flies that are producing.

Stealth is important up here and because of the clear water I like 6x or 7x tippet. I tend to fish a dry fly with another 18" of tippet and a nymph starting out to see what they want, but these brook like dry flies pretty good. Adams and elk hair caddis or blue wing olives in the size16 range should be a good place to start. Also, yellows, olives and greys would be good color options I think.