The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By theboz
  • 1 Post By Red Owl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default West Palm Beach Fishing

Hi there,
I will be in West Palm Beach, FL are in early May visiting some in laws and getting away from them as well.

This will be my first time there with fishing in mind, and would like to learn a thing or two about fishing the are from the shore line.
When I goggled the area where I will be staying, it is within an hour of driving from a big lake called Lake Okeechobee and smack in the middle between the Clear Lake and the Lake Worth Lagoon. I will bring with my an 8wt and a medium 4 pcs spinning rod and I can only get away for 5 hours top (In laws permitted).

Any tips, comments or inputs on the species of those locations, tackle, lures and how to fish them from the shore?
Thank you
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West Palm Beach Fishing

Although Lake Okeechobee is a great lake for big Bass consider fishing right at your doorstep . The shoreline fishing in the Palm Beach area can be off the charts! May is a good month for huge Jack Crevalle right off the beach as well as other mixed species. Also some of the nearby canals have very good fishing salt as well as fresh water species. Something to consider.
Lake Okeechobee can be very overwhelming for the first time fishing especially without a guide.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Although Lake Okeechobee is a great lake for big Bass consider fishing right at your doorstep . The shoreline fishing in the Palm Beach area can be off the charts! May is a good month for huge Jack Crevalle right off the beach as well as other mixed species. Also some of the nearby canals have very good fishing salt as well as fresh water species. Something to consider.
Lake Okeechobee can be very overwhelming for the first time fishing especially without a guide.
Yes, I am gonna be there without a guide. I am leaning more toward fishing the lagoon since it has more species. Is there a particular stretch of shoreline that I should concentrate on?, how far should I cast and what kind of general flies to use?
I don't know much about inshore fishing, specially from the beach. Jack is a very elusive fish and probably impossible for a beginner with 8wt like me to catch.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Jacks are far from elusive more aggressive is a better statement. Pick a beach put on a pair of shorts and sandals and start wading . Some fish will be 15 feet away some farther some closer. Look fir bait movement and fish a moving tide(incoming or outgoing) . Use baitfish imitations and your bound to catch something. More time than not you will see fish breaching close to the beach early in the morning usually jacks or ladyfish. If you see bait jumping something is chasing it . Look for swirls and sandbars where fish hangout. Fish jettys , docks and structure where bait will hide .
If your not catching downsize your flys and try different levels in the water column from top to bottom.
runningfish likes this.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM

What kind of line and leader should I use? and 2X fluorocarbon tippet?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Straight one piece of fluoro from 10 to 20 lb test.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Got it.
I'll do that and put a bimini twist in the butt.

thank you
Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Bimini twist ????????????????????????

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Not necessary!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I'm North of there but as far as tackle an #8 wt rod if fine. Lot's of guys just use a piece of straight mono (10") for a leader for stuff like red fish. Rinse off the reel and rod well after being in salt water. If you wade there are sting rays so shuffle your feet along, don't pick them up and put them down.
Sebeastian Inlet isn't too far off- that may work.
runningfish likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Bimini twist ????????????????????????

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Not necessary!
No Bimini twist, Roger that.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I'm North of there but as far as tackle an #8 wt rod if fine. Lot's of guys just use a piece of straight mono (10") for a leader for stuff like red fish. Rinse off the reel and rod well after being in salt water. If you wade there are sting rays so shuffle your feet along, don't pick them up and put them down.
Sebeastian Inlet isn't too far off- that may work.
Thank you for the tackle tip and letting me know about the rays.
I will keep it simple, 8wt Rio Outbound short, straight mono leader, and #6 deceiver, floating crab or shrimp flies.

I will Google the Sebastian Inlet and find out more about the place.

by the way, what did you mean by straight mono (10")? 10 Inch leader?