The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default Central Florida?

Anyone on the forum fly fishing in Polk County, FL? I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a long hiatus, and I'm looking for some spots that offer decent shore or wade fishing. Lake levels are VERY low right now; we're way behind on rain.

Any suggestions, posted or via PM, will be very welcome.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Central Florida?

Hi Half,

I used to live in Lakeland and found that even most retention ponds hold nice sized bass.

Saltwater. Love Fort Desoto on a moving tide.

The flats at the mouth of the Anclote river will hold a mixed bag...Wade the flats to the north.

Green key in pasco is also great access...again, at the key...work the flats to the north.

Now that i think about it. The mouth of anclote...at the power plant should be spot on this time of year. Even if the snook, reds and trout are being finicky...there are always plenty of ladyfish.

Another option is the rocky point area of Tampa off SR60...plus, happy hour at Bahama Breeze is pretty good.

Gulf beaches in summer....be there at first light, before the beachcombers..love Clearwater beach for this...easy access...snook in the surf.

Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Thanks. I haven't tried saltwater yet, but I probably will sometime in the near future. The Gulf spots sound good. Maybe over the summer I can give it a go.

I've tried for bass in a few of the local ponds, but with limited success so far. The water levels are so far down right now that much of the aquatic growth is gone. We desperately need some rain.

Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

You are really limiting yourself in with the shore fishing. Bait and catfish- that's shore fishing. If at all possible get yourself a used canoe and a kayak paddle or electric trolling motor so you can get into the better places. If you don't want the canoe then I would seriously think about salt water fly fishing. Tampa isn't too far away.
There used to be some phoshate pits in your area but if the banks are covered with brush- they would be out.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM

In fact, there's a phosphate pit across the road from my house, but the banks are much too steep for access. I've fished Saddle Creek a few times, but haven't done much good there.

Fished a pond near Lake Wales last week and had a good time catching bluegill and small bass. I'll be heading back there soon.

I'm not really interested in a canoe or kayak. I might pick up a small jon boat and an outboard, though. I'd like something I could use during hunting season for rails and to get to some good snipe areas.

I'll probably try saltwater at Tampa sooner or later. Just have to find a day that I can break away. Any good suggestions on spots to try over there? What's the best way to start out for someone new to saltwater flyfishing?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:30 PM

On the salt water- just get out there and start doing it. For trout and red fish you can use your regular stuff in most instances- just wash it REAL GOOD to get off all the salt.
On the john boat- in fishing bigger is better IMHO. A kayak is okay but it shines mostly for situatons where that's all you can use. If you can use a john boat and motor- I think most times that's better- more interior room for all your stuff.
I tried snipe down at Webb last year but only saw four, shot at two and missed both. PM me if you find any good snipe areas here in central FL.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Ever try fishing at or near Honeymoon Island state park?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM

No, I'll have to check it out.